Reality Check time

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
onePokeovertheline
Ranch Hand

From another thread:
KeepitrealWyo wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:10 am Yes developed by this 15-26 Coaching Staff
Keep Smoking the pipe
the question is Do you feel better with Bohl Guys out there after 4 years ?????
Yes, absolutely...

First of all it isn't after 4 years. It's after 3 years and 3 games. Anyone who thinks the fourth year is enough is delusional. Reality check time:

Bohl took over a dumpster fire, in which 35-40 quit/transferred. Any real program should have a lot of 5th year seniors, 2013 recruits. Reality check: There are 3. Dalton Fields and Tim Kamana don't even play and Drew Van Maanen is the lone contributor (a walk-on by the way).

2014 - Bohl had less than 2 months to put together a class (these kids are now seniors or redshirt juniors). For my money, this class doesn't even count. Eleven of those are no longer here.
Conner Cain, Ryan Cummings, Nico Evans, Austin Fort (who actually left and came back), Brinkly Jolley, Tyree Mayfield, Sid Malauulu, Chavez Pownell, Rob Priester, Nick Smith, and Cole Turner are those that are still here. Brian Hill and Jacob Hollister were also in this class. Hill and Hollister were great and there are a few other good ones in the list above.

2015 - This is the first real class that matters as it is the first one with a full cycle (these guys are now juniors and redshirt sophs). Only 8 are no longer here. Josh Allen, Carl Granderson, Logan Wilson, Andrew Wingard, Yo Ghaifan, Kevin Prosser all in this class and all will get NFL tryouts. CJ Johnson, Antonio Hull, Zach Wallace, Kaden Jackson, Josh Harshman, and James Price are also in this class and all have started games. Kellen Overstreet and Jaylon Watson (starting fullback next season) are also in this class. Josiah Hall was a walk-on in this class. Again, can't stress enough that this class is now the backbone of the program and they have been here slightly over two years and only 3 games into their third!
Most of these guys played in the 2-10 season and after a year in the program helped turn it into 8-6 and a bowl. I realize that Tanner Gentry, Jake Maulhardt, Chase Roullier, Brian Hill, and Jake Hollister were the offensive backbone no doubt; but their experience level supports my argument: one 3 year player (probably a once in a generation talent), the rest 4 or more (based on class not years at Wyo).

2016 - Second class that matters (Sophs and redshirt freshman). John Okwoli, Cooper Rothe, Tyler Hall, Allijah Halliburton, Cassh Maluia, Gavin Rush, Rico Gafford, and Shiloh Windsor. All significant contributors with all but Halliburton and Windsor having started games for us.

2017 - True Freshmen. These guys shouldn't even be playing yet, but a dozen or so are. Why? See above...complete effing dumpster fire!

Bohl is building a program and not taking shortcuts. It can be painful at times and I am by no means endorsing the play calling or other debatable topics. What I am suggesting is that all the good teams/programs have predominately 4th and 5th year players as the backbone of their teams. This is the model CB wants and is building. With this being only the 4th year and that class pieced together at the last second, it's this guys opinion that it's still too early to judge.

So yes, I do feel better with Bohl's guys after 3 years and 3 games!
Last edited by onePokeovertheline on Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
HomeOnTheRange
Buckaroo
Been liked: 2 times

second class that matters has 1/3 of it missing

people seem to dismiss that as insignificant for some reason
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Urban Meyer, one of the best coaches of this generations, thoughts on the matter:

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday ... 641747001/
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I get urban Meyer but the reality is you recruit guys who fit the profile of what you want.

D.C. Recruited a different athlete then bohl is. There was no tight end or full back under Christensen and the offensive line had a different skill set it takes time to recruit for that and it also takes time to recruit a defense that was abysmal under Christensen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
onePokeovertheline
Ranch Hand

HomeOnTheRange wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:49 am second class that matters has 1/3 of it missing

1/3 of 2015 class is gone too. This is normal. Can sign a max of 25 per class and 8 of the 2015 class is gone.
onePokeovertheline
Ranch Hand

calpoke25 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:49 am Urban Meyer, one of the best coaches of this generations, thoughts on the matter:

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday ... 641747001/
Meyer is criticizing the coaches for making excuses rather than owning up to the fact that you took the job knowing what the personnel situation was. To may knowledge, Bohl hasn't made an excuse.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

i agree somewhat but I truly feel this is eerily similar to Joe Glenn 2.0, but the true jury will be out on that after this conference season has taken place, this is where we should make our mark and time will tell.....get the Rainbows 1st !!!!!!
HomeOnTheRange
Buckaroo
Been liked: 2 times

onePokeovertheline wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:12 pm
HomeOnTheRange wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:49 am second class that matters has 1/3 of it missing

1/3 of 2015 class is gone too. This is normal. Can sign a max of 25 per class and 8 of the 2015 class is gone.
It is not normal for 1/3 of an entire signing class to flake out less than a year after starting their first academic year. Not even close to normal. Institutions that do not retain their kids get hurt with the APR and on the field because they have no depth. Our lack of depth is showing now with some of the guys who are making their way on the field.
onePokeovertheline
Ranch Hand

Ok you're right it's not normal...it's actually higher than 1/3. One article of many on the subject:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/scout.com/ ... 909941/Amp
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

onePokeovertheline wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:12 pm Ok you're right it's not normal...it's actually higher than 1/3. One article of many on the subject:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/scout.com/ ... 909941/Amp
Holy crap... that article was an eye opener. Thanks!
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

I understand that the conference is down, but the Pokes now can compete. When was the last time that we have had multiple guys that were on radars of NFL GM's. Last years team has Gentry, Hollister, Rouillier and Hill all on NFL rosters. This years team has a possible top 3 overall pick, and a projected 2nd rounder in many mock drafts in Wingard. Been a fan since 91' since I started school there and there hasn't been this much talent in Laramie since I started following them. Bohl and his staff have found some serious talent, but need to develop a better supporting cast. Andrew Wingard would be in my opinion a starting safety at any program in the NCAA
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

I'm not really worried about this team. I think they will be a monster by the end of the season. Its just the nature of the program right now. We lost alot of talent last year to the NFL - some via graduation - some via early departures.

Bohl and company has done a great job taking the previous coaches talent and developing it. He's done an even better job of finding players for his system (Think Allen/Hill/others).

We will have a tough beat out year this year - but we will still win 7+ games. The word is out that Wyoming is a great place to play football. We will be fine.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Something else to remember is the competition we've played, which included two relatively strong Power 5 programs.

Freaking out about the start to this season would be like freaking out about struggling in a college class when you're only a high school sophomore or junior. It's an entirely different level we're talking about here.

Sure it would've been nice to win those games, but at this point that doesn't matter. It doesn't affect the chances for a MWC Championship, just like that college course wouldn't affect you getting your HS diploma.

Let's worry about winning against the level we're at.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Dnice47
Buckaroo

Bohl and his staff ran off a huge number (more than a dozen) of the players they inherited. Notably, though no one has mentioned him, Jonathan Kongbo the starting DE for Tennessee departed for a JC. No one hired him to coach some ideological football team of his imagination. They hired him to coach the actual Wyoming Cowboys. Saying he didn't have his players or his type of players is excuse making. It appears that he's in over his head at this level and is more the 2-10 coach than the 8-6 one. I'm hopeful but certainly not optimistic.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

I think it's been established that Kongbo left because he thought he was too good for the team.

W-Y, Until I Die!
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I don't think kongbo was driven out by him at all and he was actually recruited by bohl but kingbo didn't even stick around a season. It's too bad but It didn't work out at Wyo

C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Did he really develop players or were they already good players? Wingaard started as fresh, Hill played enough to be considered a starter as a freshmen, and Hollister was a juco. I mean sure some development occurs, but the players that we are talking about were not projects. I guess by that logic D.C. developed Prosinski and Gipson into NFL players ( or maybe they were top tier players to begin with, like Gentry & Roullier).

In my opinion he's better at finding impact walk on players than development ( crall, Hall, & Epps).