Winnable Games?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
reedleyfan1
Buckaroo

Honestly, what are our remanding winnable games?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

All but Boise and CSU
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

All of them.

Also, all of them are loseable too.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I agree with jrod. Need to find some consistency at WR. Price and Conway can get there. How did Bohl and co. whiff at running back is the main concern.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

If we win I'm predicting low scoring games. We don't have the offense that can give up 35 and win.

That being said
Hawaii just barely beat a terrible umass team so I don't see them coming to the Rocky Mountains and lighting us up.

Texas state: has scored 20 points as there high for the season against Houston baptist fcs foe. I like our odds of winning that one.

Utah state scored 10 and 13 points against there two power five competitors so it's hard to say how good they will be. I'll say that game is a toss up.

Boise state will likely be a heavy favorite in that game

New Mexico is another game I'll call a toss up. It's in Laramie for homecoming and I look for a defensive struggle in that one.

I'll say csu likely comes in a favorite in Laramie and I'll give them that game

I'll say airforce is a toss up and we should win our remaining games against Fresno and sj state.

Still a lot of winnable games but I don't see us as blowing anyone out this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
reedleyfan1
Buckaroo

pokefanchaz7, great rundown! I agree with low scoring games if we win!
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Boise, CSU, New Mexico, AFA are my loss picks. To win some others, Price must be back and ready to go.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

It's frustrating that ALL that it would take for us to potentially win most of the remaining games is if the run game starts clicking. I do think Conway is already solid - it's just that if teams have a really good corner, it's the others who will have to pick up the slack, and that won't happen unless they learn to hold on to the ball.

Even so, our defense is good at causing turnovers and our special teams seem alright, despite that embarrassing whiffed punt vs Iowa. Hell, we've mostly eliminated returns.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:32 pm It's frustrating that ALL that it would take for us to potentially win most of the remaining games is if the run game starts clicking. I do think Conway is already solid - it's just that if teams have a really good corner, it's the others who will have to pick up the slack, and that won't happen unless they learn to hold on to the ball.

Even so, our defense is good at causing turnovers and our special teams seem alright, despite that embarrassing whiffed punt vs Iowa. Hell, we've mostly eliminated returns.
Yep. Not sure what the full solution is for the run game, but something definitely needs to change. Be it blocking, hitting the gaps, indecision, or some combination, something has got to change.

Conway has been a pleasant surprise, being a solid receiver, but we need at least one more to step up. Be it a WR or a TE.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:32 pm It's frustrating that ALL that it would take for us to potentially win most of the remaining games is if the run game starts clicking. I do think Conway is already solid - it's just that if teams have a really good corner, it's the others who will have to pick up the slack, and that won't happen unless they learn to hold on to the ball.

Our offense was struggling this time last year too - it got better a few games in:
9/3/16 Wyoming vs NIU 40-34 - game finished at 2am
Wyoming vs Nebraska - 52-17 - ass kicking there due to the 4th q
Wyoming vs UC Davis 45-22 win

Different team - different year. Still have a depth problem in places. Have a ton of experience problems. This coaching team will have us calling for P5 membership by the end of the year.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

fromolwyoming wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:46 pm

Yep. Not sure what the full solution is for the run game, but something definitely needs to change. Be it blocking, hitting the gaps, indecision, or some combination, something has got to change.

Conway has been a pleasant surprise, being a solid receiver, but we need at least one more to step up. Be it a WR or a TE.

The biggest one thing I saw in the Oregon game that impressed me about the Oregon RBs was when their RBs were handed the ball, they were already at full speed - our RBs hesitate and look for a hole. Maybe that has more to do with our OL not opening any holes than it does with our RBs, but we aren't hitting the line of scrimmage fast and hard.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

San Jose St, Fresno St, CSU, New Mexico, Utah St, Texas St and Hawaii, anything less will truly be disappointing
reedleyfan1
Buckaroo

The same question stated in a different way.....we go bowling this year?
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

Before the season I thought it was a forgone conclusion that they would be bowling. Now I'm not so sure.

We have two losses now and I'm counting on losses to Boise and csu.

That puts us at four losses that gives us seven more games to get five wins and I think it's reasonable to say we win five but I also think it's reasonable to say we lose 5.

We are not going to blow anyone out and we will lose a game or two we had no business losing. I'll be an optimist and say we win just enough to go bowling

KeepitrealWyo
Buckaroo

This Week is Huge. As bad as the Rainbows are on the Mainland I know we will be outcoached in most facets. Our Offense will struggle (VIGEN SUCKS) and our Special Teams will be outplayed again (HOW DOES COOPER KEP HIS JOB)
Hope the Defense shows up and gets turnovers.
Lets hope the WR's run routes and get open.
Cummings out is not good.
Get Milo in the open field (Does Vigen now that swing passes or legal)
How about the Tight End down the middle of the Field ???
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

KeepitrealWyo wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:47 pm This Week is Huge. As bad as the Rainbows are on the Mainland I know we will be outcoached in most facets. Our Offense will struggle (VIGEN SUCKS) and our Special Teams will be outplayed again (HOW DOES COOPER KEP HIS JOB)
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Like firing coaches every 5 years?
LaradiseCowboy
Ranch Hand

wyokoke wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:44 pm
KeepitrealWyo wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:47 pm This Week is Huge. As bad as the Rainbows are on the Mainland I know we will be outcoached in most facets. Our Offense will struggle (VIGEN SUCKS) and our Special Teams will be outplayed again (HOW DOES COOPER KEP HIS JOB)
Like firing coaches every 5 years?
+100 - fair weather fans with short-sighted vision.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

First, and my only real negative is that when we heard all the stuff (on this board) about foundations, no jc, we must play freshman, it will pay dividends in 4 years, yada yada, well, we now know what I suspected then, all a bunch of hogwash.

With that said, these guys already showed they can coach. Allen or no Allen, we lost to many pieces and are clearly i3n rebuild mode. A bowl game is possible and I'll take that in a down year as opposed to our 1 or 2 win seasons. It is also important to establish 6 wins as the basement. That is building a culture.

My prediction is that this team, due to more experience and coaching, will be playing substantially better by season's end. That is a sign that all is well!

Rainbows are about to get a taste of a bunch of pent up frustration. POKES roll!!
Last edited by ragtimejoe1 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
KeepitrealWyo
Buckaroo

what excuse is next ??????
15-26 is the cold hard facts and we are not getting better with Bohl recruits we seem to have gone backwards. Rainbows are dreadful on the mainland but I see them outcoaching Vigen (Watch Saturday)and we will all make excuses Sunday morning. Even at 3-2 after Texas State I see depth as a problem on the defense and lack of playmakers on Offense. Besides Josh I don't think we have a division 1 athlete at a skilled positioned. (Conway still learning how to run a crisp pattern) What is our excuse now????
Cowboy Tough ??? BS - Oregon has long been labeled a Soft-Fast Team and they physically kicked our Ass.
We did beat GW but I didn't get the Cowboy Tough feeling on the sideline.
What is our WR Coach doing and how long has he been here, Easy to coach Hollister Maulhardt and Gentry but we need coaching to step up today.

Fire Vigen and Cooper and lets start to rebuild
Keep Bohl (He has us all snowed) so we have continuity but the Stannard firing was good.
Do not stay put - We are slipping the wrong way
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

KeepitrealWyo wrote:what excuse is next ??????
15-26 is the cold hard facts and we are not getting better with Bohl recruits we seem to have gone backwards. Rainbows are dreadful on the mainland but I see them outcoaching Vigen (Watch Saturday)and we will all make excuses Sunday morning. Even at 3-2 after Texas State I see depth as a problem on the defense and lack of playmakers on Offense. Besides Josh I don't think we have a division 1 athlete at a skilled positioned. (Conway still learning how to run a crisp pattern) What is our excuse now????
Cowboy Tough ??? BS - Oregon has long been labeled a Soft-Fast Team and they physically kicked our Ass.
We did beat GW but I didn't get the Cowboy Tough feeling on the sideline.
What is our WR Coach doing and how long has he been here, Easy to coach Hollister Maulhardt and Gentry but we need coaching to step up today.

Fire Vigen and Cooper and lets start to rebuild
Keep Bohl (He has us all snowed) so we have continuity but the Stannard firing was good.
Do not stay put - We are slipping the wrong way
So let me get this right... coach bohl was mountain west coach of the year, we come off a fantastic season wherein we win the mountain division and host the mountain west championship which we lost by a measly field goal and which we send four offensive players to the NFL and when we break in inexperience across the entire offense with the exception of qb your answer is during the guys who FINALLY brought us a winning season and top 25 wins? Coach bohl and vigen have earned a little time before the seat warms up