Thanks guys

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
RoseCityDuck
Buckaroo

I posted a while back here, but have been pretty quiet since.

I know the game went pretty poorly for the Cowboys, but just wanted to say thanks for the great hospitality. I am so jealous you guys serve beer - though it was a little more tightly regulated than I would have liked! (gotta take some where you can get it)

I used to live in Boulder so I'd been to Laramie a couple of times but this was the first time I've gotten to experience the university and the stadium. Incredible facility - between you guys and CSU, the MWC is definitely stepping up.

I was pleased with the results but can't help but think that we didn't face a fully put together Cowboys squad. I've only known Bohl as a run-centric, extremely disciplined coach, and it felt like the gameplan was too skewed to rely on Allen than anything else - like a kid playing a video game, rather than a coach establishing a rhythm. In other words, our defensive line is not exactly experienced and I expected a more balanced attack from the Cowboys.

Your defense has a couple of murderers too - really solid, clean hits.

I don't think we're that great yet and I also don't think UW played their best. I almost wonder if you guys will be better after Allen is gone, ironically. An ignorant take from me.

Anyway, thanks for a great time - great people. Will cheer for Wyo for years to come.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Thank you for visiting and enjoying our university. I think what you saw in terms of game plan was the result of us dominating on the ground a year ago only to not being able to consistently get more than 1-2 yards per carry even against a piss-poor FCS team last week. We knew we lost one very good and one truly great runningback, but I think we all thought that the talent drop-off wouldn't be quite so major.

Similarly, we lost our Center to Redskins, our Tight End to Patriots, and our top receiver to Bears (though I think they put him on their practice squad despite being a top threat in the preseason)... but you'd think that at least one or two guys could occasionally get open, right? I guess not.

Allen definitely wasn't at his best yesterday either. His throws were off and he made a few pretty bad decisions. Not sure if knowing that all those scouts are in the stands made him squirrely, but if he can't hand the attention of a sold out college game at home, he's not going to be able to handle the pressure on the ultimate stage either.

We saw last year when he crumbled against Nebraska that he got his head back in the game and then started dominating, and hopefully that's what'll happen again this year. You were the best team we're going to face, unless we somehow beat all the odds and play San Diego State again and they're as good as advertised (Oregon's still probably the better team).
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

RoseCityDuck wrote:I posted a while back here, but have been pretty quiet since.

I know the game went pretty poorly for the Cowboys, but just wanted to say thanks for the great hospitality. I am so jealous you guys serve beer - though it was a little more tightly regulated than I would have liked! (gotta take some where you can get it)

I used to live in Boulder so I'd been to Laramie a couple of times but this was the first time I've gotten to experience the university and the stadium. Incredible facility - between you guys and CSU, the MWC is definitely stepping up.

I was pleased with the results but can't help but think that we didn't face a fully put together Cowboys squad. I've only known Bohl as a run-centric, extremely disciplined coach, and it felt like the gameplan was too skewed to rely on Allen than anything else - like a kid playing a video game, rather than a coach establishing a rhythm. In other words, our defensive line is not exactly experienced and I expected a more balanced attack from the Cowboys.

Your defense has a couple of murderers too - really solid, clean hits.

I don't think we're that great yet and I also don't think UW played their best. I almost wonder if you guys will be better after Allen is gone, ironically. An ignorant take from me.

Anyway, thanks for a great time - great people. Will cheer for Wyo for years to come.
"Stand up guy", thanks for the words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
scodux
Buckaroo

I second this,

I was at the game and although I was only in Laramie for about 8 hours total (including the game) I didn't meet a single Wyoming fan that wasn't nice and courteous.

The game went about as I had expected. I am surprised that Oregon did as well as they did defensively. Even in the past, against teams much worse than Wyoming, Oregon has always seemed to let other teams score. In fact, it was the first time Oregon allowed less than 20 points and/or 200 yards in over 3 seasons. Jim Leavitt is definitely turning the D around at Oregon. If this game happens last season, Wyoming hangs 35+ on Oregon.

As far as what I could see from the Cowboys, they lack play making receivers. I know their receiver core is young and inexperienced, but I didn't see any raw talent or any individual that stood out as someone who may be that guy in the future. The WR's just couldn't create space for Allen to get in any kind of groove. If Wyoming had 2 solid guys for Allen to work with, this Wyoming team would be night and day better than what we saw Saturday.

Wyoming's defense shouldn't feel bad either, Oregon is going to hang 49 points on a lot of teams this year, Add the fact that it seemed like Wyoming's defense was on the field the entire game, they did about as good as anyone could have in those circumstances.

One last thing I'd like to add. I have absolutely no clue why Willie Taggart didn't knee the ball at the end of the game. As that happened I couldn't help but lower my head in shame. My best guess is that he wanted back up QB Taylor Allie to get as many meaningful snaps as possible before PAC12 play, or he doesn't want the talking heads to assume Oregon is a team that can't score in the 2nd half (see the Nebraska game) hoping that he could deceitfully add 7 more there at the end.

Either way, it was inexcusable and that kind of thing that can leave a stain on a persons resume, and one that I am certain left a sour taste with the Wyoming faithful about Oregon and their program.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Last year, we had a dangerous offense (to other teams, not ourselves), but a lot of those playmakers are now in the NFL. Though our defense was pretty "ugh".

This year, its basically flipped. I recommend looking up some highlights of last year to see what I mean. Brian Hill would run over defenders, Allen burned defenses through the air and on the ground, Gentry, Maulhardt, and Jacob Hollister caught everything thrown their way, and Chase Roullier led the blocking at Center, and never let a guy get by him.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

You guys kicked our butts. Good luck rest of the way