Wyoming vs Power Five Schools

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wicks
Blog Team
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Here is my breakdown of Wyoming versus Power Five schools in the past and what schools are on the schedule in the future.

Looking at the upcoming games, do you see a game Wyoming can win in the near future?

If they can't win one of these games soon, will you lose interest in the program? Interested to hear your thoughts.

http://wyonation.com/2017/09/wyoming-st ... e-success/
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

They need to quit scheduling these games. The payout isn't worth the loss of morale from them getting skulldrug around the stadium.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

Without the money we can't survive unfortunately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
WyoIllini
Buckaroo

Looking forward to that 2022 game at Illinois!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 224 times

Wicks wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:46 am
If they can't win one of these games soon, will you lose interest in the program? Interested to hear your thoughts.

I'll lose interest when Wyoming stops scheduling these games. That is when Wyoming, without question, will be in a de-facto lower division.
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 7 times

Of those 11 games mentioned in the article, only 1 wasn't a blow out. Wyoming has to continue to schedule P5 games if it wants to build something like what Boise St did. It also needs for it's NFL prospect QB to not completely poop the bed.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

We should have at least 1 on schedule every year. The offense on this team will gel at some point this year and we'll start moving the ball.

I've seen some comments bringing up SDSU. It took Brady Hoke coming into the program to get the system to turn around for them. I don't think Rocky Long could have built the success he has without him. Its taken them almost a decade to get to this point.

Keep scheduling the P5s. Its good on the pocket book, its good attendance, and its good for moral when we win. We even walk away with a few moral victories from time to time.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 224 times

cowpoke pride wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:42 am It also needs for it's NFL prospect QB to not completely poop the bed.
Only Jesus (perhaps Tim Tebow) could be successful without the help of other playmakers. Putting that squarely on Allen is just not reality.
Wicks
Blog Team
Been liked: 2 times

Very good thoughts folks.

I agree we should have one of these games per year. It actually helps interest in the program win or lose.

Two games is probably too much especially for a program still trying to take that leap forward.

Unfortunately , these things take time and people don't have the patience.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

Wicks wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:16 pm Unfortunately , these things take time and people don't have the patience.
Like me!!!! If I can't brag about Wyoming beating a name school OR actually winning conference championships to the Okies here...why bother???!!!!

Last time we beat a big name school, Glenn was coaching his last win as UW's head coach when we beat Tennessee at their place!!!!!! Roughly 10 fricking years ago!!!!!!! :tickedoff:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 7 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:24 am
cowpoke pride wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:42 am It also needs for it's NFL prospect QB to not completely poop the bed.
Only Jesus (perhaps Tim Tebow) could be successful without the help of other playmakers. Putting that squarely on Allen is just not reality.
3 for 15 for 13 yards while the game is still in question is well beyond not having much help and clearly into a terrible game personally. There were FCS quarterbacks, playing on the road, against top level competition, that hopefully didn't have significantly better help around them than what the Cowboys are trotting out this year, that were able to surpass 3 for 15 for 13 yards. :oops:
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Wyokie wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:33 pm
Wicks wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:16 pm Unfortunately , these things take time and people don't have the patience.
Like me!!!! If I can't brag about Wyoming beating a name school OR actually winning conference championships to the Okies here...why bother???!!!!

Last time we beat a big name school, Glenn was coaching his last win as UW's head coach when we beat Tennessee at their place!!!!!! Roughly 10 fricking years ago!!!!!!! :tickedoff:
Then don't bother
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

WyoBrandX wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:42 am We should have at least 1 on schedule every year. The offense on this team will gel at some point this year and we'll start moving the ball.

I've seen some comments bringing up SDSU. It took Brady Hoke coming into the program to get the system to turn around for them. I don't think Rocky Long could have built the success he has without him. Its taken them almost a decade to get to this point.

Keep scheduling the P5s. Its good on the pocket book, its good attendance, and its good for moral when we win. We even walk away with a few moral victories from time to time.
The problem is we don't win these games. We get our heads ripped off and shoved up our anus.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:17 pm
WyoBrandX wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:42 am We should have at least 1 on schedule every year. The offense on this team will gel at some point this year and we'll start moving the ball.

The problem is we don't win these games. We get our heads ripped off and shoved up our anus.
---- Craig Bohl ----

2017 (Craig Bohl) (1-2)
Iowa 24 Wyoming 3 - 21 pts * Note this was probably a 1 TD game between muffed punt and a big play
Oregon 49 Wyoming 13 - 36 pts

2016 (Craig Bohl) (8-6)
Nebraska 52 Wyoming 17 - 35 pts * Gave up 28 of those when Allen melted down in the 4th q. Beat a few ranked teams during the season

2015 (Craig Bohl) (2-10)
No games played against the "P5". poop ass season though.

2014 (Craig Bohl) (4-8)
Oregon 48 Wyoming 14 - 34 pts Craig Bohl's first year - and he wasn't recruiting for wyo this year
Michigan St 56 Wyoming 14 - 42 pts. Ugly game

---- Dave Christensen ----
2013 (Dave Christensen) (5-7)

Nebraska 37 Wyoming 34- 3 pts - that was a hell of a comeback game. Thought we might win it. Lost 48-7 @ Boise, and a weird game with hawaii - 59-56 win

2012 (Dave Christensen) (4-8)
37 Texas Wyoming 17 - Played a pretty good game that day

2011 (Dave Christensen) (8-5)
Nebraska 38 Wyoming 14 24 pts - was at the game - it was fun - lived right across the street from the stadium
Notable: We gave TCU a hell of a game that year - and lost 31-20.

2010 (Dave Christensen) (3-9)
Boise St 51 Wyoming 6 - Not a p5 team, but that flea flicker, ACS getting high snap and losing one to a safety sucks. Got revenge for that in 2016 i guess
No P5 teams

I'm too lazy to go back further than that. We've done no harm playing the p5 teams. There's been a few conference blowouts that suck way much worse than the p5's. That BYU 52-0 game in 2009 rings a bell.

We've been headed in the right direction for a while. I'm disappointed on our offensive side of the ball this year - but I've been very f-word impressed with our defense. This thing will gel and it will gel well. I just hope it happens this year.