Bohl=Glenn

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Reality is that Bohl's judgement year is next year not this one. The full effect of Bohl's recruiting, coaching, and depth will be next year, good or bad.

This year is Allen and filling gaps of major losses. A 4th or 5th year lull isn't that unexpected in a rebuild.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
HomeOnTheRange
Buckaroo
Been liked: 2 times

filling the gaps from major losses is hard to do a year after 1/3 of your freshman class leaves the program
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

dapokes wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:48 am This board is full of some weak-minded prisoners of the moment. A bunch of Skip Bayless hot-takes in here right now. Get off the bandwagon before we start conference play.
A lot of football still to be played. Bad game....but the easiest part of our schedule remains.

Need to beat Hawaii.

Go Pokes!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

HomeOnTheRange wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:23 am filling the gaps from major losses is hard to do a year after 1/3 of your freshman class leaves the program
Meh, nothing to worry about at this point. Trends in successful rebuilds often go this way. Getting to 7+ wins in about 4 years, 1 down year, 1 decent year, then relatively sustained success.

It is clear that NOBODY is coming into Laramie and pulling an "Urban Meyer". The dumbest thing we can do is start burning the bandwagon. Jump off if you wish, but don't burn it. Only thing we haven't tried is giving a coach extra time. I'm 100% convinced WYO football can't be built in 4 years. We've tried every damn angle.

Bohl has this thing on track. The key to this year is how we are playing at the end. I think it will be a lot better. If it isn't, then I agree it is a warning sign. On the flip side, when we are playing way better, it is a clear indication that this train is well on track.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 50 times

"It is clear that NOBODY is coming into Laramie and pulling an "Urban Meyer". The dumbest thing we can do is start burning the bandwagon. Jump off if you wish, but don't burn it. Only thing we haven't tried is giving a coach extra time. I'm 100% convinced WYO football can't be built in 4 years. We've tried every damn angle."
from ragtimejoe1

Until we can establish a program and a process we won't have long-term success. We know this staff can win. Bohl said when he showed up that it took 5 years to build a football program.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I agree, let Bohl have three or more years. Nothing else has worked. Maybe Glenn and Christensen should have had more years? In year four they all are pretty much identical, Glenn having harder schedules and D.C. having a slightly better record. I feel that the coaches have whiffed on the offensive players this year ( hope Price is the answer at WR).

Best chance at a conference title is giving him three more years.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

Looking more like a Glenn team every game. Can he consult with a D.C. coach get some WRs? I think we still beat tx st but Utah St might rape us.
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

To be honest..... we are no longer in an era where 3-4 years is prove it or get out...... it's more like 7-8 years to completely rebuild at a place like Wyoming.... we've found a few guys in recruiting but it's going to take more time to get offensive players.....

When Wyoming loses players leaving early to the pros, it hurts us worse than other places. Losing Hill is killing us because they can easily focus on Josh. We are not going to get the depth of players that can help us reload like those other places do.... it is reality.... our goal should be to get as consistently good as Boise State has been and hopefully better.... they're about as good as a non power 5 school is going to get.

All in all....we need to give Bohl 7-8 years to get this program to a mode...if we do the 3-5 stuff like normal, we'll be right back in the place we've been so often. Just give the coach extra time this go around.....we can truly build a program and have a great foundation.....
billings
Ranch Hand

man the idiots who wanted joe tiller fired at wyo are still here wanting bohl fired. some people never figure it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

Tiller won a conference championship in year 3, and would have been bowl eligible every year but his first two. Bohl won a division title in year 3 so there are similarities. Is Bohl going to get to bowl eligibility this year? We will know which direction this years team is after usu game. If he doesn't get eligible he is no Tiller. Hell even D.C. Got a team to 8 wins and within a 4th quarter of a conference championship ( 2011 vs tcu). Dana Dimel nearly won a championship too, and had the team Bowl elegible every year he was here.

I am all for giving Bohl 7 plus years( it's never been done here and is likely a good route to success), I just don't buy into that he is doing anything unique. Tiller, Dimel, Glenn, DC, or a etc. ( Gregg Brandon, Brock spack, or other possible hires) could probably snag a conference title if they would be given an extended period of time against our current competition. We will likely only challenge for a title every 4 years or so ( this team isn't challenging for it unless the offense clicks).

Bohl is likely not as good as Tiller, and is probably about as good or slightly better than Glenn, who is better than D.C. ( but not as much as people think). Dana Dimel was in between Tiller and Glenn/Bohl. All four could have competed for a conference championship, Glenn obviously never got the chance to compete for one, but his conference was the hardest competition by far.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

marcuswyo wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:54 pm Tiller won a conference championship in year 3, and would have been bowl eligible every year but his first two. Bohl won a division title in year 3 so there are similarities. Is Bohl going to get to bowl eligibility this year? We will know which direction this years team is after usu game. If he doesn't get eligible he is no Tiller. Hell even D.C. Got a team to 8 wins and within a 4th quarter of a conference championship ( 2011 vs tcu). Dana Dimel nearly won a championship too, and had the team Bowl elegible every year he was here.

I am all for giving Bohl 7 plus years( it's never been done here and is likely a good route to success), I just don't buy into that he is doing anything unique. Tiller, Dimel, Glenn, DC, or a etc. ( Gregg Brandon, Brock spack, or other possible hires) could probably snag a conference title if they would be given an extended period of time against our current competition. We will likely only challenge for a title every 4 years or so ( this team isn't challenging for it unless the offense clicks).

Bohl is likely not as good as Tiller, and is probably about as good or slightly better than Glenn, who is better than D.C. ( but not as much as people think). Dana Dimel was in between Tiller and Glenn/Bohl. All four could have competed for a conference championship, Glenn obviously never got the chance to compete for one, but his conference was the hardest competition by far.
I don't disagree with much, just adding that even Glenn had a stretch between the 06-07 seasons where he went 9-3 with dominating wins over Utah, CSU, TCU, Virginia. Had that happened in one season it easily would've been the best season back to 1996, just happened to be spread over 2.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I agree with another poster who made the comment that if bohl can't do it who can? I know everyone wants a powerhouse program but we have tried premier assistant coaches, top flight fcs coaches and not many proven commodities are lining up for this job now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

I got laughed off this board last year for saying Bohl needs 6 years minimum. I may change that sentiment to 7 or 8 now.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

I never said Bohl can't win a conference championship, and that is the goal imho. Just that it will take him 7-8 to get there. I also believe that every other coach since Tiller ( excluding Koening) could win a conference title given a 7-8 year time frame. It is pretty clear to me that our ceiling with above average coaching is challenging for a championship in 2 seasons out of 8, with winning maybe 1 during that 8 year period.

A great coach could obviously do much better (think challenging every year, winning about every other). Thing is great coaches aren't easy to find, there are only so many Urban Myers in the world, and while maybe a more common occurrence there are only so many Paul Roaches. Can Bohl be a Tiller ( or even a Dimel) or is he more of a Glenn/DC coach? Either way I'm on board and think he will get a conference title in the next three years.
billings
Ranch Hand

Dimel won with tiller recruits. Once they were gone Dimel fell on his face. should not be on anyones top list
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Honestly, I don't care about one good year. Like you guys have said, others in recent Wyoming past have had a year of success. The thing we want to avoid is the drop-offs that immediately followed. With both Christensen and Glenn, they followed their seasons of 7+ wins by winning 4 or fewer games. That's what needs to be eliminated, and that's what I think Bohl can do here.

We'd all love if Wyoming became the new MWC powerhouse, playing for conference championships year after year after year. I don't know how realistic that is, but even a moderate level of success with no drop-offs would really help this program's sustainability a lot.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

billings wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:58 pmDimel won with tiller recruits. Once they were gone Dimel fell on his face. should not be on anyones top list
Honest question, as I was not around in the late 90s and early 00s....

I look back at the program history and see 7-6, 8-3, 7-4 under Dimel's history. Not sure how that's qualified as falling on his face. What am I missing?
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:47 pm I got laughed off this board last year for saying Bohl needs 6 years minimum. I may change that sentiment to 7 or 8 now.
I sure didn't laugh. I'm thinking more like 9 or 10.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
wyoair
Ranch Hand

I'm all for giving Bohl the 7-8 years, like JVK said, I believe he can be the guy to sustain success without the 2-3 year lull between a winning season. We've tried every other route to obtain success. Doing what what we have done previously would literally be the definition of insanity. Doing the exact same thing over and over expecting a different result. I know its almost led to my insanity. Thank God for Coors and Pendelton. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone but was Dimel's offence the the weird option with the man constantly in motion every set with the option to hand off to him, the RB or pass?
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy

wyoair wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:32 am I'm all for giving Bohl the 7-8 years, like JVK said, I believe he can be the guy to sustain success without the 2-3 year lull between a winning season. We've tried every other route to obtain success. Doing what what we have done previously would literally be the definition of insanity. Doing the exact same thing over and over expecting a different result. I know its almost led to my insanity. Thank God for Coors and Pendelton. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone but was Dimel's offence the the weird option with the man constantly in motion every set with the option to hand off to him, the RB or pass?
It wasn't "Dimel's" offense per-say. It was the brainchild of Manny Mitsakis, UW's '99 O Coordinator, and it's called the triple shoot. An offense I'm particularly fond of as I have coached it at the lower levels and believe it's one of the best systematic offenses. It was the concept of the jet sweep... before the jet sweep, if that makes sense.

Here is a brief history of the Triple Shoot: https://footballmastery.wordpress.com/t ... -offense/
Basic Concepts: http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2009/ ... y-and.html

The actual 1999 Wyoming Triple shoot playbook: https://www.scribd.com/document/3413285 ... ot-Offense
I'm good for 3!