No respect for our D on the Iowa fan board

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

There shouldn't be any respect for it either until we prove otherwise.

If I was them I wouldn't respect it either.

When you give up over 30 ppg that is atrocious.

Also with as good as their offensive line is and them going up against Michigan and Ohio St. defensive lines i doubt Wyoming's defensive line will scare them.

If the Wyoming defense wants respect they will have to earn it.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

seattlecowboy wrote:There shouldn't be any respect for it either until we prove otherwise.

If I was them I wouldn't respect it either.

When you give up over 30 ppg that is atrocious.

Also with as good as their offensive line is and them going up against Michigan and Ohio St. defensive lines i doubt Wyoming's defensive line will scare them.

If the Wyoming defense wants respect they will have to earn it.
Yup. Doesn't matter if they respect it or not. Matters if we stop the run and sack the QB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Well, Iowa fans must be fairly good with common sense then.

I don't respect our D, either.

.....yet.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Add me to the list of Pokes fans who are taking a "wait and see" approach in regards to how good our defense is.

Yes, I think we have talent and promise.
No, they haven't proven a thing yet, and last year's defense got shredded several times.
wyoair
Ranch Hand

Iowa like Michigan State play a brand of power football I hope us to reach and what we have historically been. They have top end lineman and very good RB with a stout defense. This game is a good measuring stick for our toughness and athleticism. If we hold our own and show we are capable of sticking people I'll be happy win or lose.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

wyoair wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:07 am If we hold our own and show we are capable of sticking people I'll be happy win or lose.
I'm in the same seat - AND I'm going to add that I'll also hope Allen can stay healthy and avoid dirty hits. He's going to have a giant target painted on him due to being hyped for next year's draft. Nothing to get a scout's attention like laying a big hit on a potential #1 draft pick.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

We gave up massive yardage and 50-70 points while taking losses to college football juggernauts like EMU, UNM, and UNLV. I'm pretty sure our own players know that's not good enough. There's no surprise that Iowa fans don't respect us.

Do I think the defense will be much better with Hazelton, more d line and secondary depth, more speed, and more size on the field? Yeah, we should be better. We have potential all-Americans on all three levels of defense.

Stylistically, we couldn't defend read option teams, but we did pretty well against power teams. I would consider Iowa a power rushing team.

Wyoming has to earn peoples respect. They aren't just going to give it to us especially after stinking up the field against historical football turds like UNLV, UNM, and EMU.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

I doubt they've really dug deep into what types off offenses Wyoming has struggled and succeeded against. Meaning they're just looking at last year's point totals and judging. In that case, I wouldn't respect Wyoming's defense either. Anyone who concedes 66 points to UNLV in football and not basketball is quite a ways away from dominance.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

Then again, our D played really stout in many games including BSU, Nebraska and SDSU. Nebraskas didn't look great but 5 INTS will do that to any defense. I don't get how EMU and UNLV could score so much on us.

W-Y, Until I Die!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:54 am Then again, our D played really stout in many games including BSU, Nebraska and SDSU. Nebraskas didn't look great but 5 INTS will do that to any defense. I don't get how EMU and UNLV could score so much on us.

Even then; 52, 28, 33 points conceded isn't exactly reminiscent of the 85' Bears, no? This defense still has some work to do before it commands respect. Pieces are in place to make that jump this year, but I don't blame Hawkeye fans for not being impressed with the defensive numbers from last season.

That said, their offensive style plays into Bohl's hands. I don't think the defense will be a problem for every Wyoming opponent, but they might border on annoying vs. Iowa.
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Been liked: 10 times

Count me in the cautiously optimistic camp as well. We didn't do too bad against power teams, but couldn't diagnose a read option to save our lives last season. A year of maturity, new coordinator and hopefully some lessons learned should help.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

laxwyo wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:54 am I don't get how EMU and UNLV could score so much on us.
My guess is that Bohl and company underestimated them and got thoroughly outcoached (a rare occurrence, admittedly)
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Adv8RU12 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:10 pm
laxwyo wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:54 am I don't get how EMU and UNLV could score so much on us.
My guess is that Bohl and company underestimated them and got thoroughly outcoached (a rare occurrence, admittedly)
I thought they may have under estimated EMU and UNLV, but by the time they got to UNM they understood that Stanard was completely incompetent at preparing to face a spread read option.

It will be interesting to see how this season turns out, because our fan base, players, and coaches all know that we haven't stopped a shotgun read option attack ONE TIME since Bohl took over.

Until we do, we won't have confidence against that scheme.

Hopefully this year we'll be able to stop the juggernaut offenses at UNM, UNLV, and EMU. :cool:
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

I can't get the New Mexico game out of my head. I've never seen a defense get shredded like that. It literally looked at times like Wyoming had three defenders on the field.