I know Bohl said 3 freshmen would play, could it be as many as 8-10?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

We know for a fact that Zaleski will punt barring injury or complete melt down.

Raevontae Holt, Avantae Cox, Logan Harris, and Jarred Scott are guys that are all likely to play.

Va is battling Ben Wisdorf to back up Caash. Alonzo Vazquez is trying to break into the tackle rotation. CJ Coldon was mentioned as a taller db option. Esias Gandy has made big plays in camp to make the safety rotation. They took a look at Patrick Arnold, who seems to have fallen off. Javaree Jackson is another D tackle that's getting some reps.

Thats 11 true freshmen that have been mentioned in camp as possibilities to play.

To me it seems that Zaleski, Harris, Holt, Cox, Scott, and Va are almost locks with the other guys playing an outside chance to get in. The number is down from previous years, but also impressive that this class is talented enough to have 6 true freshmen make an established roster with pretty solid depth.

This weekends scrimmage will likely determine who gets a redshirt.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

play whomever will help and get the job done!!!! Let' s Go Pokes!!
HomeOnTheRange
Buckaroo
Been liked: 2 times

regardless of how many play during the year, we need them to still be on the roster at the end of the coming academic year.

last year's freshman class had wayyyyyy too much attrition for a program that does not recruit at a high level

this year's freshman class really needs to be retained at all costs. We simply cannot afford to lose 1/3 of our freshman class in consecutive years
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

HomeOnTheRange wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:40 pm regardless of how many play during the year, we need them to still be on the roster at the end of the coming academic year.

last year's freshman class had wayyyyyy too much attrition for a program that does not recruit at a high level

this year's freshman class really needs to be retained at all costs. We simply cannot afford to lose 1/3 of our freshman class in consecutive years
I don't know if that was an accident or if that was by design. That was probably Bohls worst recruiting class since he arrived during a 2-10 season, where the fan base was starting to turn on Bohl. It certainly wasn't near the quality that we had in last years class.

In addition, kids are a lot more likely to slack off on their academics or get in trouble if they don't see playing time coming soon. I don't think a lot of those guys had much hope of making the field anytime soon.

It's something we need to pay attention to with this class, but our roster has more depth than it's had since Dimel was the head coach. We're starting to build real numbers.

If you look at our class break down, we have nine seniors this year, with 20+ juniors and sophomores, and a huge freshmen class consisting of redshirts, walk-ons, and true freshmen.

Our roster is not facing a crisis if some of this freshmen class don't make the cut(and some of them won't). We've got solid numbers and solid depth across the board.

National Champions 1943.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

I do.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Cowboy Junky wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:52 pm
HomeOnTheRange wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:40 pm regardless of how many play during the year, we need them to still be on the roster at the end of the coming academic year.

I don't know if that was an accident or if that was by design. That was probably Bohls worst recruiting class since he arrived during a 2-10 season, where the fan base was starting to turn on Bohl. It certainly wasn't near the quality that we had in last years class.

In addition, kids are a lot more likely to slack off on their academics or get in trouble if they don't see playing time coming soon. I don't think a lot of those guys had much hope of making the field anytime soon.

It's something we need to pay attention to with this class, but our roster has more depth than it's had since Dimel was the head coach. We're starting to build real numbers.

If you look at our class break down, we have nine seniors this year, with 20+ juniors and sophomores, and a huge freshmen class consisting of redshirts, walk-ons, and true freshmen.

Our roster is not facing a crisis if some of this freshmen class don't make the cut(and some of them won't). We've got solid numbers and solid depth across the board.
There are a couple LBs that I think we'll miss that left the program. Harvey and King
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:21 pm

There are a couple LBs that I think we'll miss that left the program. Harvey and King
Yeah, that didn't help us build depth immediately but it was probably good for the long term health of the position. If you look at who they replaced them with:

Va, Devon Wells Ross, and Trey Woods look like upgrades. All three of them are taller, and all of them look more athletic on tape.

Having extra scholarships to fill from the bad class the year before, let us recruit more guys during a season with wins against 2 ranked teams, a sweep of AFA and CSU, and a title game appearance.

We upgraded the roster by losing guys from that 2-10 class. That's my point.

Ja'Chai Baker was a bad loss, with our lack of depth at defensive tackle, but I think we got some freshmen there that will end up very good with Holt, Jackson, and Ski....

National Champions 1943.

I do.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Cowboy Junky wrote:

Yeah, that didn't help us build depth immediately but it was probably good for the long term health of the position. If you look at who they replaced them with:

Va, Devon Wells Ross, and Trey Woods look like upgrades. All three of them are taller, and all of them look more athletic on tape.

Having extra scholarships to fill from the bad class the year before, let us recruit more guys during a season with wins against 2 ranked teams, a sweep of AFA and CSU, and a title game appearance.

Ja'Chai Baker was a bad loss, with our lack of depth at defensive tackle, but I think we got some freshmen there that will end up very good with Holt, Jackson, and Ski....
I don't entirely disagree with your assessment but I'd say that I'd rather have redshirt freshmen playing than true freshmen unless they are that good. Most of the guys that were lost redshirted whereas these guys are being forced into action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:48 pm
Cowboy Junky wrote:

I don't entirely disagree with your assessment but I'd say that I'd rather have redshirt freshmen playing than true freshmen unless they are that good. Most of the guys that were lost redshirted whereas these guys are being forced into action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, it definitely doesn't help us right away. I still think it was actually a good thing for us to be able to recruit a full 25 last season, with all the momentum we had.

National Champions 1943.

I do.