2 weeks and counting

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Man we really haven't had many Hawkeye fans come on and give us what for and such, kinda surprising, but they aren't Nebraska, LOL. you are welcome and we'd love a bit of banter, I read some of it on their chat sites and I don't think they really take us seriously. We shall see how our preparation for this visit to Big 10 country will be. Hawkeye fans we'd love to hear from ya(I think..lol)
hawkeye83
Buckaroo

Salutations! I am both an Iowa student and season ticket holder since 2002. I will gladly give you the Iowa view. I must say the posters here are pretty well informed, and I would tend to agree with most of what has been said about Iowa. Iowa fans can be obnoxious, though we have been humbled by a few bad losses to lower FBS and FCS teams.

It is true that most of our fan base doesn't take these games seriously. I think personally games like this don't do either side any good(outside of the payments to Wyo). I believe they should create classes like they have in high school football. Based on financial, attendance, win/loss. Mountain West, MAC, Sun Belt, AAC, CUSA should all be one division with their own national championship. It is unfair that these conference teams are lumped with teams that clearly out match and out recruit them.

Iowa fans are concerned about the qb situation. Tyler Wiegers is the vet, however he hasn't had any snaps in his career. Stanley the sophmore had the clean up snaps in games. They tore his redshirt off. It will end up being Stanley. The logical choice is to have a qb, like your Allen who is a 2-3 year starter.

The past few years the o-line in my opinion is overrated. Beathard the starting qb for the past 2 years took a lot of shots over over that time. Hobbled him. Last year was rather troubling. They are veteran though, so hopefully they will clean things up.

The Receiving corps is the most troubling aspect in my opinion. They have no returning players over 6'1. All most teams really have to do is stop the run because Iowa's receivers aren't allowed to break off routes. Most teams can afford to blitz because they don't go over the middle. Matt Vandeberg is a redshirt senior from last year due to his injury. Capable, but tends to be a security blanket. I would argue that got him injured last year.

The tight-ends are numerous and large. That will be an X-factor. If they can get back to targeting the TE, that might make up for the lack of experience at WR

Running backs are solid. However they tend to get banged up due to overuse. Which will be a problem with a weak receiving corps and new starting qb.

DL is sold. as are the LBs. Defense is never an issue. They only issue is that the offense tends to leave them on the field too much.

Iowa has lost Desmond King to graduation in the defensive backfield, however they have a lot of promising players. however our promising sophomore Manny Rugumba is suspended for the game for violating team rules, so that is trouble. It surprises me Iowa fans are worried about the DBs. Jake Gervase looked pretty good at the spring game. Got speed. A bit of crazy to from the looks of him.

If Iowa takes this game seriously, they should win handily. Kirk Ferentz is arguably the best coach Iowa has ever had. However he doesn't take these games as serious as his predecessor Hayden Fry, the other great coach who was there 19 years. Fry went out of his way to flatten teams like Wyoming, and FCS opponents. Ferentz as an NFL background tends to treat it like preseason. And perhaps with the arrogance that a team in the power 5 conferences should be able to push around such a team. I was not surprised when Iowa lost to North Dakota St. As many of your posters have indicated, Iowa plays to the level of their opponent. Before the Michigan game, I thought they were done. I don't know how they managed to beat Michigan and Nebraska. They certainly did not deserve to play Florida last year. They always get the New Years day bowl because of the fan following.

Iowa struggles against good quarterbacks. It's easy to beat the defense because they give you a lot. If the Iowa offense is clicking, the bend but dont break D works. However Iowa has so many question marks. The offense can be inconsistent. They played Jordan Lynch and Northern Illinois in 2014 and lost. They played Easton Stick last year. If Wyo can score on every drive, they could win. The Iowa offense tends to choke in those situations.

The consensus view in the Hawkeye camp is 6-8 wins. The funny thing is that Iowa plays Ohio St at home this year. One would think that is a loss and Wyoming is the win. I don't see it that way. Iowa is the team the Big Ten bigs don't prepare for. Anything can happen with Iowa.

Iowa "should" win. I'd say if they play their game, get the running game going, 35-21. It comes down to the Iowa players wanting to play the game. They have trouble with that. If it's a shootout, Wyo might get the upset.

I'll repeat what I said to start. This game does no one any good. Iowa fans don't like these games, the players don't take these games seriously. I rather enjoy these games personally as a sociologist. I enjoy seeing localities being represented nationwide. Our states are rather similar in that regard. We have no pro teams, and rely on our colleges to represent us. However practically for Iowa and in this new era of playoffs, power 5s are going to need to play power 5s. I would rather see Iowa go 0-12 playing power 5 rather than get a few cheap wins and a meaningless bowl game where we get hammered by a better team. And from Wyoming's perspective, unless your team has an undefeated year beating a power 5 team, you might make the same bowl 3-4 years in a row like Louisiana-Lafayette. Their own fans started to complain after multiple years of going to the New Orleans Bowl. Those teams deserve a division of their own so they can play like schools for their own National title. I'd favor promotion and relegation as well. Though I don't see the established teams going for it.

I wish Wyoming luck this season outside of our own match up. By the way, Tanner Gentry is looking pretty good with the Bears.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

I'd say Iowa has nothing to gain. This is very beneficial for Wyoming.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

I agree and I truly can't wait for the Power 5 to break free and play the big boys week in and week out, and kinda have a secondary conference schedule so that our games actually mean something to us. Sad it has come to $ grabs and such but it's the only way a team like Wyoming and Mountain West Conference types can stay relevant. if there was EVER a year for UW to get their season and make a New Year's 6 bowl is this year, GET IOWA 1st and then go from there!!!!
Hey Pokes GET ER DONE!!!!!
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

Iowa needs too win, just like anybody else. A tough non conference schedule, helps... At least they aren't playing in Laramie. Wyoming's in the top 60 right now. That is a great game for Iowa, as they are also sitting outside the top 25.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

hawkeye83 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:21 pm Salutations! I am both an Iowa student and season ticket holder since 2002. I will gladly give you the Iowa view. I must say the posters here are pretty well informed, and I would tend to agree with most of what has been said about Iowa. Iowa fans can be obnoxious, though we have been humbled by a few bad losses to lower FBS and FCS teams.

It is true that most of our fan base doesn't take these games seriously. I think personally games like this don't do either side any good(outside of the payments to Wyo). I believe they should create classes like they have in high school football. Based on financial, attendance, win/loss. Mountain West, MAC, Sun Belt, AAC, CUSA should all be one division with their own national championship. It is unfair that these conference teams are lumped with teams that clearly out match and out recruit them.

Iowa fans are concerned about the qb situation. Tyler Wiegers is the vet, however he hasn't had any snaps in his career. Stanley the sophmore had the clean up snaps in games. They tore his redshirt off. It will end up being Stanley. The logical choice is to have a qb, like your Allen who is a 2-3 year starter.

The past few years the o-line in my opinion is overrated. Beathard the starting qb for the past 2 years took a lot of shots over over that time. Hobbled him. Last year was rather troubling. They are veteran though, so hopefully they will clean things up.

The Receiving corps is the most troubling aspect in my opinion. They have no returning players over 6'1. All most teams really have to do is stop the run because Iowa's receivers aren't allowed to break off routes. Most teams can afford to blitz because they don't go over the middle. Matt Vandeberg is a redshirt senior from last year due to his injury. Capable, but tends to be a security blanket. I would argue that got him injured last year.

The tight-ends are numerous and large. That will be an X-factor. If they can get back to targeting the TE, that might make up for the lack of experience at WR

Running backs are solid. However they tend to get banged up due to overuse. Which will be a problem with a weak receiving corps and new starting qb.

DL is sold. as are the LBs. Defense is never an issue. They only issue is that the offense tends to leave them on the field too much.

Iowa has lost Desmond King to graduation in the defensive backfield, however they have a lot of promising players. however our promising sophomore Manny Rugumba is suspended for the game for violating team rules, so that is trouble. It surprises me Iowa fans are worried about the DBs. Jake Gervase looked pretty good at the spring game. Got speed. A bit of crazy to from the looks of him.

If Iowa takes this game seriously, they should win handily. Kirk Ferentz is arguably the best coach Iowa has ever had. However he doesn't take these games as serious as his predecessor Hayden Fry, the other great coach who was there 19 years. Fry went out of his way to flatten teams like Wyoming, and FCS opponents. Ferentz as an NFL background tends to treat it like preseason. And perhaps with the arrogance that a team in the power 5 conferences should be able to push around such a team. I was not surprised when Iowa lost to North Dakota St. As many of your posters have indicated, Iowa plays to the level of their opponent. Before the Michigan game, I thought they were done. I don't know how they managed to beat Michigan and Nebraska. They certainly did not deserve to play Florida last year. They always get the New Years day bowl because of the fan following.

Iowa struggles against good quarterbacks. It's easy to beat the defense because they give you a lot. If the Iowa offense is clicking, the bend but dont break D works. However Iowa has so many question marks. The offense can be inconsistent. They played Jordan Lynch and Northern Illinois in 2014 and lost. They played Easton Stick last year. If Wyo can score on every drive, they could win. The Iowa offense tends to choke in those situations.

The consensus view in the Hawkeye camp is 6-8 wins. The funny thing is that Iowa plays Ohio St at home this year. One would think that is a loss and Wyoming is the win. I don't see it that way. Iowa is the team the Big Ten bigs don't prepare for. Anything can happen with Iowa.

Iowa "should" win. I'd say if they play their game, get the running game going, 35-21. It comes down to the Iowa players wanting to play the game. They have trouble with that. If it's a shootout, Wyo might get the upset.

I'll repeat what I said to start. This game does no one any good. Iowa fans don't like these games, the players don't take these games seriously. I rather enjoy these games personally as a sociologist. I enjoy seeing localities being represented nationwide. Our states are rather similar in that regard. We have no pro teams, and rely on our colleges to represent us. However practically for Iowa and in this new era of playoffs, power 5s are going to need to play power 5s. I would rather see Iowa go 0-12 playing power 5 rather than get a few cheap wins and a meaningless bowl game where we get hammered by a better team. And from Wyoming's perspective, unless your team has an undefeated year beating a power 5 team, you might make the same bowl 3-4 years in a row like Louisiana-Lafayette. Their own fans started to complain after multiple years of going to the New Orleans Bowl. Those teams deserve a division of their own so they can play like schools for their own National title. I'd favor promotion and relegation as well. Though I don't see the established teams going for it.

I wish Wyoming luck this season outside of our own match up. By the way, Tanner Gentry is looking pretty good with the Bears.
This post reeks of Power 5 Greater-Than-Thou circle jerking. Us lowly peons in the MWC shouldnt be allowed to play in the same championship as powerhouses like Iowa, it's for our own good. Get out of here with that crap. This game has huge implications for Wyoming AND for Iowa if the Pokes have the kind of season Bohl and Co. expect. If were playing in a NY18 bowl game this could be a huge feather in the cap victory for any team, including Iowa.

The Iowa team better take this game seriously or they will be 0-1 to start the season. You best bet your ass the players in Laramie will be ready and will be fired up.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

Better than creating a lower conference would be to create an actual revenue sharing system that would create more parity. Every major pro sports has something to prop up the "small market" teams. At some point. Aren't people going to get tired of seeing Alabama play one of 7 teams for a title? There will never be a memorable season because there's no way for any type of Cinderella to make a run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:59 am
hawkeye83 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:21 pm Salutations! I am both an Iowa student and season ticket holder since 2002. I will gladly give you the Iowa view. I must say the posters here are pretty well informed, and I would tend to agree with most of what has been said about Iowa. Iowa fans can be obnoxious, though we have been humbled by a few bad losses to lower FBS and FCS teams.

This post reeks of Power 5 Greater-Than-Thou circle jerking. Us lowly peons in the MWC shouldnt be allowed to play in the same championship as powerhouses like Iowa, it's for our own good. Get out of here with that crap. This game has huge implications for Wyoming AND for Iowa if the Pokes have the kind of season Bohl and Co. expect. If were playing in a NY18 bowl game this could be a huge feather in the cap victory for any team, including Iowa.

The Iowa team better take this game seriously or they will be 0-1 to start the season. You best bet your ass the players in Laramie will be ready and will be fired up.
I was thinking this too.

Really appreciate the post and the info on the team but the part about not playing each other and having two divisions? Get out of here. We are not going to be voluntarily leaving D1 football. We are going to compete with you and never back down. We will continue to try to win conference championships and earn our way into the NY6 games and try our best to break into the playoff(understand it is virtually impossible with 4 teams but with talk of expansion) no matter how slim the chances we won't give in and play for some JV national championship with the G5.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

TSpoke wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:50 pm
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:59 am

I was thinking this too.

Really appreciate the post and the info on the team but the part about not playing each other and having two divisions? Get out of here. We are not going to be voluntarily leaving D1 football. We are going to compete with you and never back down. We will continue to try to win conference championships and earn our way into the NY6 games and try our best to break into the playoff(understand it is virtually impossible with 4 teams but with talk of expansion) no matter how slim the chances we won't give in and play for some JV national championship with the G5.

These are excellent responses.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Subtract 30 million a year from Iowas athletics budget that they get from the monopoly every season and Iowa is nothing more than CSU with poop of corn instead of weed.
Last edited by Cowboy Junky on Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

Deputy wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:51 pm
stymeman wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:33 am Man we really haven't had many Hawkeye fans come on and give us what for and such, kinda surprising, but they aren't Nebraska, LOL. you are welcome and we'd love a bit of banter, I read some of it on their chat sites and I don't think they really take us seriously. We shall see how our preparation for this visit to Big 10 country will be. Hawkeye fans we'd love to hear from ya(I think..lol)
Are you going to the Iowa game?
Yes and now got off at Noon on Friday sooo much better NOW
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

The same Hayden Fry that beat down and flattened Wyoming in the Holiday Bowl game by 1 point? :roll: The separation between the majority of the "P5" and the "G5" is not as great as many think.

If college football divides and only has the "P5" or four conferences in the top level, they are going to kill the golden goose. Keep in mind that it wasn't too long ago when B$G teams were getting flat out embarrassed in their bowl games that there was talk of whether the B$G was on its way to becoming a mid-major conference. Every conference has ebbs and flows, unfortunately the MWC got raided at its last high point.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
Golfer
Buckaroo

hawkeye83 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:21 pm
It is true that most of our fan base doesn't take these games seriously.

Iowa fans are concerned about the qb situation.

If Iowa takes this game seriously, they should win handily.

Iowa struggles against good quarterbacks.

1) Not true.
2) Iowa overperform historically with 1st yer. QB's. Most teams do.
3) We've had issues at OT. OG has been world class. Pass protect obviously suffers.
4) Will be mitigated by 2 (yet to be seen) RB's. Both of whom have proven they can catch the ball. One
will line up in the slot. Or 2 will line up, which changes most defenses on 3rd down, and 3 TE's will
be opportunity both laterally and horizontally.
5) New OC will target TE's. Almost a guaranty.
6) We are very deep at RB.
7) The only issues here are CB and safeties.
8) True. And the Wyoming QB will try to pick apart an unproven secondary in any event. This makes it
more favorable to them.
9) Every game is taken seriously. Last year against NDSU it was obvious the OL needed to be developed.
That game could have been won. Throwing at them. Won at the expense of several losses later
during the season.
10) Should win?
11) Consensus? Because pre season picks by "experts" are historically accurate.
GhostofBTT
Buckaroo

stymeman wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:33 am Man we really haven't had many Hawkeye fans come on and give us what for and such, kinda surprising, but they aren't Nebraska, LOL. you are welcome and we'd love a bit of banter, I read some of it on their chat sites and I don't think they really take us seriously. We shall see how our preparation for this visit to Big 10 country will be. Hawkeye fans we'd love to hear from ya(I think..lol)
Since no one else will dare say it, I will.

As an Iowa fan, the reason why there aren't many Iowa fans coming here to banter with you is because you're Wyoming and we don't take you seriously.

You are simply a speedbump on the road to games we care about.

Sorry if that offends.*

*I'm not sorry if that offends
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

GhostofBTT wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:04 pm

As an Iowa fan, the reason why there aren't many Iowa fans coming here to banter with you is because you're Wyoming and we don't take you seriously.

Sorry if that offends.*

Like NDSU was a speed bump... I pray the team has your same poop ass attitude, the Sharteyes will be 0-1 to start the season.
KnightHawk21
Buckaroo

We chalk up the NDSU loss due to missing our two best starting OL. We won't have any excuses this year against you guys. Good luck and safe travels to those making the trek to Iowa City.

I have the Hawks over the Pokes 42-17. This isn't a slight to you guys, we're just a better team now than we were last year.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Sorry if that offends.*

And you definitely won't be here after the game. Getting pushed around the field and corn holed by "inferior speed bumps", 2 seasons in a row, will be too much crow for one to eat.

At least we aren't FCS, like NDSU was last year, when they beat you.

National Champions 1943.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

I do.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

KnightHawk21 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:21 pm We chalk up the NDSU loss due to missing our two best starting OL. We won't have any excuses this year against you guys. Good luck and safe travels to those making the trek to Iowa City.

I have the Hawks over the Pokes 42-17. This isn't a slight to you guys, we're just a better team now than we were last year.
If we win, you'll make one up during the game.
Last edited by Cowboy Junky on Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
GhostofBTT
Buckaroo

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:08 pm

Sorry if that offends.*

Like NDSU was a speed bump... I pray the team has your same poop ass attitude, the Sharteyes will be 0-1 to start the season.
Jesus superfan. Do you want me to kiss your ass or do you want the truth?

Of course, judging by the extremely clever "Sharteyes" blast, I'm probably dealing with the kind of intellect that would certainly think some rando on a forum has the exact same attitude towards the game that the team does...
GhostofBTT
Buckaroo

Cowboy Junky wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:22 pm

Sorry if that offends.*

And you definitely won't be here after the game. Getting pushed around the field and corn holed by "inferior speed bumps", 2 seasons in a row, will be too much crow for one to eat.

At least we aren't FCS, like NDSU was last year, when they beat you.
LOL, look at this poop. Acting like you've accomplished something so you can talk that kind of trash? Hey fella, what happened last time you went to a Big Ten stadium?