BTN Bus Tour: Iowa

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

KnightHawk21 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:42 am I would argue that Akrum Wadley possesses just as much talent as Allen, albeit at a different/less important position. Josey Jewell is also in that discussion.

But when it comes down to it, football is the ultimate team game, so what one player can do really doesn't tell the whole story.
You're obviously an Iowa fan, we are obviously Wyoming fans. We probably won't agree on much. Allen will be the best player on the field in most every game we play this year and Iowa is no exception. Im not saying UW is for sure winning but our chances rest squarely on his shoulders. Yes the defense has to show up and take care of Iowa's attack and the rest of the offense has to take care of their business but Allen is as transcendent a player as I have ever seen in my 31 years of being a Wyoming fan.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

KnightHawk21 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:42 amBut when it comes down to it, football is the ultimate team game, so what one player can do really doesn't tell the whole story.
In most cases I agree.....except at the quarterback position.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

This may sound obvious, but Wyoming's chances to win will go up the more points they score.

When Iowa gave up 22 or more points last year, they were 1-4. 7-1 when allowing 21 or fewer points.
Last year, Wyoming only scored 24 or fewer points in 4 games (0-4 record). 8-2 when scoring over 25 points.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:13 pm This may sound obvious, but Wyoming's chances to win will go up the more points they score.

When Iowa gave up 22 or more points last year, they were 1-4. 7-1 when allowing 21 or fewer points.
Last year, Wyoming only scored 24 or fewer points in 4 games (0-4 record). 8-2 when scoring over 25 points.
Really appreciate it when you dig in and provide stats like this :clap: :clap: :clap:
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 230 times

cidsports wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:12 pm
Josh Allen is best QB, since Ben
Roethlisberger in 2003 to play in Big Ten opener and be a top flight prospect coming into a Season Opener.

Some one is playing 'In Heaven There is No Beer' after this one.
Big Ben is the best comparison that I can come up with to Josh Allen. Cannon arms that can create plays with their mobility.

At Wyoming, In Heaven There is No Beer is a staple at any point in the game and as much as possible.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:55 pm
cidsports wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:12 pm
Josh Allen is best QB, since Ben
Roethlisberger in 2003 to play in Big Ten opener and be a top flight prospect coming into a Season Opener.

Some one is playing 'In Heaven There is No Beer' after this one.
Big Ben is the best comparison that I can come up with to Josh Allen. Cannon arms that can create plays with their mobility.

At Wyoming, In Heaven There is No Beer is a staple at any point in the game and as much as possible.
I agree. That's a good comparison actually. To complete the metamorphosis Josh just needs to gain 30 lbs of beer belly, lower his IQ 20 pts, grow a nasty beard and become immune to all pain
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

JimmyDimes wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:59 pm
cali2wyo wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:03 am This is kinda interesting...
joshvanklomp wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:33 am Summary:
-QB up in the air (not afraid to play both)
(Opposite for us, we're solid at QB)
-Sr RB who ran for 1k; plus transfer James Butler from Nevada
(Opposite for us, RB is a big question mark regarding who will emerge)
-New OC, head coach's son
(We have a new DC)
-Biggest strength is in both trenches
(Not our biggest weakness, but losing Appleby and possibly having to start a true freshman at Center isn't ideal)
-Experienced LBs
(We lost Wacha and May)
-Replacing talented pieces in secondary
(We return our entire 2-deep)
It may just come down to which team has the better coach and can develop the potential weak areas on each team better (or exploit the other team's weaknesses)
A true freshman will not be starting at center....that is Gavin Rush's spot. Bohl has looked at a couple guys for depth....but not sure that will happen this year. He did mention Cox, Scott, Holt and possibly Jackson as freshman who might not redshirt this year.

When it comes to this year, I'm not sure looking at last year is fair. Not only do we return the most starters in the MWC....we will have more depth, size, and experience. And a new and improved DC.

The Iowa game will be a challenge. But don't think for a second the challenge will be one sided.

Go Pokes!!
Damn....I could very well be wrong.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

cali2wyo wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:39 pm
joshvanklomp wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:13 pm This may sound obvious, but Wyoming's chances to win will go up the more points they score.

Really appreciate it when you dig in and provide stats like this :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thanks, I'm a bit of a stat nerd. I could look up stats all day.
KnightHawk21
Buckaroo

Entertaining video from days gone by...

cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

JimmyDimes wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:21 pm
JimmyDimes wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:59 pm
cali2wyo wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:03 am This is kinda interesting...
joshvanklomp wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:33 am Summary:
-QB up in the air (not afraid to play both)
(Opposite for us, we're solid at QB)
-Sr RB who ran for 1k; plus transfer James Butler from Nevada
(Opposite for us, RB is a big question mark regarding who will emerge)
-New OC, head coach's son
(We have a new DC)
-Biggest strength is in both trenches
(Not our biggest weakness, but losing Appleby and possibly having to start a true freshman at Center isn't ideal)
-Experienced LBs
(We lost Wacha and May)
-Replacing talented pieces in secondary
(We return our entire 2-deep)
It may just come down to which team has the better coach and can develop the potential weak areas on each team better (or exploit the other team's weaknesses)
A true freshman will not be starting at center....that is Gavin Rush's spot. Bohl has looked at a couple guys for depth....but not sure that will happen this year. He did mention Cox, Scott, Holt and possibly Jackson as freshman who might not redshirt this year.

When it comes to this year, I'm not sure looking at last year is fair. Not only do we return the most starters in the MWC....we will have more depth, size, and experience. And a new and improved DC.

The Iowa game will be a challenge. But don't think for a second the challenge will be one sided.

Go Pokes!!
Damn....I could very well be wrong.
https://twitter.com/BFoster91/status/898608104585035777
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Harris is a beast. Thoroughly impressed with him
KnightHawk21
Buckaroo

joshvanklomp wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:05 pm
KnightHawk21 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:42 amBut when it comes down to it, football is the ultimate team game, so what one player can do really doesn't tell the whole story.
QB needs an OL.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

KnightHawk21 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:11 pm
QB needs an OL.
We have an OL that just might surprise you.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Aside from QB, OL is probably our biggest strength, even though we lost a very good center.

That said, we'll have to see if we have anybody who can fill Chase's shoes at Center. Those are some big shoes to fill, especially when our first opponent is potentially the best team we'll see all season.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

QB needs an OL.
lol we led the conference in offense. OL is not a worry
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

LanderPoke wrote:
QB needs an OL.
lol we led the conference in offense. OL is not a worry
In a lot of highlights, it looks like josh is running for his life and sort of makes the OL look bad. I think he bailed a little early on many of them which resulted in poor looking pass protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
tuckerusa
Buckaroo

WestWYOPoke wrote:I'm confused by the excessive amount of love some people are giving Iowa. They are at BEST, the #5 team in the Big Ten. And while, yes, they certainly recruit bigger-star athletes out of high school, that is only a small portion of the battle. There is coaching, scheme, player development, heart, luck, etc. that helps determine who wins a game each week. Now if this was a Ohio State, Penn State or Wisconsin, I would understand some of it. But this is a 2nd tier Big Ten team, someone that we SHOULD be able give a run for their money.

The one thing I will agree with is that Iowa does have a very strong O-Line. I don't know if I would say they are certainly the best in their conference, but they are close if not.

The best thing going for Wyoming: Iowa's weakest group is their defensive backfield, that bodes well for Allen & Co.
In the Big Ten, Iowa is #3 recordwise over the past 3 seasons in B1G games, behind Ohio State (23-2) and Wisconsin (20-5). Iowa is 18-7, ahead of Michigan (16-9).

Is an upset possible. Sure.

Kirk Ferentz has lost 2 home openers in the past 16 seasons. The last one was against Northern Illinois in the home opener in 2013. Iowa had beat NIU the previous year, the only regular season loss in 2012 for the Huskies.

Fwiw

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

GhostofBTT
Buckaroo

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:44 am
KnightHawk21 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:42 am I would argue that Akrum Wadley possesses just as much talent as Allen, albeit at a different/less important position. Josey Jewell is also in that discussion.

But when it comes down to it, football is the ultimate team game, so what one player can do really doesn't tell the whole story.
You're obviously an Iowa fan, we are obviously Wyoming fans. We probably won't agree on much. Allen will be the best player on the field in most every game we play this year and Iowa is no exception. Im not saying UW is for sure winning but our chances rest squarely on his shoulders. Yes the defense has to show up and take care of Iowa's attack and the rest of the offense has to take care of their business but Allen is as transcendent a player as I have ever seen in my 31 years of being a Wyoming fan.
Iowa has, off the top of my head, 3 players better than John Alan. Probably more if I bothered to check the roster closely. Shut up with this BS.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

GhostofBTT wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:00 pm
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:44 am

Iowa has, off the top of my head, 3 players better than John Alan. Probably more if I bothered to check the roster closely. Shut up with this BS.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
jessejames02
Ranch Hand

Okay, I'm a Wyoming and an Iowa fan and follow both teams fairly closely. Iowa could end up being a second teir B1G team this year but definitely has the potential to be a big winner. Luckily for Wyoming the Hawkeyes have a recent history of early season huge letdowns. Even better, Wyoming is finally in a position to knock down a top level opponent, regardless of conference.

Obviously Iowa should be favored here, and I agree with other posters that this is probably the hardest game on the schedule this year. But Wyo has a chance.
52-56