recent Brian Hill article

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

The way I see it is Hill should have stayed because of the loaded RB class. I don't think the fact that Hill would have had another year of college wear and tear makes much of a difference. What's the average career length of an NFL RB? Super short. Most don't stay in the league long enough to have that extra year of college wear and tear even matter. Get a college degree, hone your craft more, get noticed by scouts more and get drafted way higher this year because there aren't a bazillion NFL-worthy backs this year. And get a bigger signing bonus and more $$$. Basically, I agree with a lot of what Junky said. Whatever, though. Wish B. Hill the very best!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

We can all wait until after the preseason. Signs aren't great right now but maybe he gets back to himself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
wyoair
Ranch Hand

If Hill had stayed this year and been drafted he would likely be in the same draft class as Penn State's Saquon Barkley, LSU's Derrius Guice, Oregon's Royce Freeman, Georgia's Nick Chubb, Alabama's Bo Scarbrough and USC's Ronald Jones. So an arguably deeper or just as deep RB class. You almost have to bank on a stacked skilled position class every year. But I believe unless you are an elite talent, top 1-2 round draft pick like a Josh Allen then stay the 4 years, get your degree and more NFL exposure. There are far more cautionary tales with UW players leaving early without degrees and not making it in the NFL than vice versa. After that if your're good enough you can make a roster spot and make $400,000 yearly. I'm 31 and will never reach that amount even if I go back for the big M.D. Its just that hard to be a consistent NFL player. I have a buddy who played at Utah and was a started on the o-line on the Sugar Bowl team that beat Nick Saban and Alabama and even then he was a 3-4 year journey man practice squad member.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

wyoair wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:12 pm If Hill had stayed this year and been drafted he would likely be in the same draft class as Penn State's Saquon Barkley, LSU's Derrius Guice, Oregon's Royce Freeman, Georgia's Nick Chubb, Alabama's Bo Scarbrough and USC's Ronald Jones. So an arguably deeper or just as deep RB class. You almost have to bank on a stacked skilled position class every year. But I believe unless you are an elite talent, top 1-2 round draft pick like a Josh Allen then stay the 4 years, get your degree and more NFL exposure. There are far more cautionary tales with UW players leaving early without degrees and not making it in the NFL than vice versa. After that if your're good enough you can make a roster spot and make $400,000 yearly. I'm 31 and will never reach that amount even if I go back for the big M.D. Its just that hard to be a consistent NFL player. I have a buddy who played at Utah and was a started on the o-line on the Sugar Bowl team that beat Nick Saban and Alabama and even then he was a 3-4 year journey man practice squad member.

Not even close to as deep. Hill had 15 running backs picked before he was.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
wyoair
Ranch Hand

Cowboy Junky wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:54 pm
wyoair wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:12 pm If Hill had stayed this year and been drafted he would likely be in the same draft class as Penn State's Saquon Barkley, LSU's Derrius Guice, Oregon's Royce Freeman, Georgia's Nick Chubb, Alabama's Bo Scarbrough and USC's Ronald Jones. So an arguably deeper or just as deep RB class. You almost have to bank on a stacked skilled position class every year. But I believe unless you are an elite talent, top 1-2 round draft pick like a Josh Allen then stay the 4 years, get your degree and more NFL exposure. There are far more cautionary tales with UW players leaving early without degrees and not making it in the NFL than vice versa. After that if your're good enough you can make a roster spot and make $400,000 yearly. I'm 31 and will never reach that amount even if I go back for the big M.D. Its just that hard to be a consistent NFL player. I have a buddy who played at Utah and was a started on the o-line on the Sugar Bowl team that beat Nick Saban and Alabama and even then he was a 3-4 year journey man practice squad member.

Not even close to as deep. Hill had 15 running backs picked before he was.
That was just scratching the surface. I didn't even mention Myles Gaskin, Justin Jackson, Kamryn Pettway, Rodney Smith, Mike Weber, Akrum Wadley or Sony Michel which again is only a few and are all highly rated and will all likely be top 5 picks.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Well you should have informed the talking heads at ESPN about that, because all of them agreed that this season was an exceptionally deep running back class. I watched the draft. I didn't just make up the "exceptionally deep running back class". I learned it from the NFL draft experts and t.v. personalities.

National Champions 1943.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

I do.
knhendon
Buckaroo

It doesn't matter what Hill did or should have done - horse is out of the barn now.

I wish Hill mountains of success in the NFL and hope it pays dividends for WYO.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Well you should have informed the talking heads at ESPN about that, because all of them agreed that this season was an exceptionally deep running back class. I watched the draft. I didn't just make up the "exceptionally deep running back class". I learned it from the NFL draft experts and t.v. personalities.
Well if Hill took the talking head advice he should have left early as most projected him in the 3rd to 4th round, which would be above his ceiling. He got drafted ahead of McNichols from a high profile school, 3 or 4th round pick was McNichols ceiling. Donnel Pumphrey stayed the extra year and was drafted in the 4th round. Hill wouldn't get much more exposure than those two (especially Pumphrey as he broke some records since they didn't count Bowl stats). Hill would never be drafted above the 3rd round playing running back in the MW, and risking injury for a 4th year for a degree that costs only 5k more in tution to complete is a huge gamble when you have 420k of guaranteed money on the table ( at worst he makes practice squad).I bet he doesn't clear waivers if he goes to practice squad.

Projected draft spot: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/ ... id=2558112

PS: I think Pumphrey had negative yards in his pre season game.
johnywyo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

marcuswyo wrote:
Well if Hill took the talking head advice he should have left early as most projected him in the 3rd to 4th round, which would be above his ceiling. He got drafted ahead of McNichols from a high profile school, 3 or 4th round pick was McNichols ceiling. Donnel Pumphrey stayed the extra year and was drafted in the 4th round. Hill wouldn't get much more exposure than those two (especially Pumphrey as he broke some records since they didn't count Bowl stats). Hill would never be drafted above the 3rd round playing running back in the MW, and risking injury for a 4th year for a degree that costs only 5k more in tution to complete is a huge gamble when you have 420k of guaranteed money on the table ( at worst he makes practice squad).I bet he doesn't clear waivers if he goes to practice squad.

Projected draft spot: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/ ... id=2558112

PS: I think Pumphrey had negative yards in his pre season game.

Fact.

At the molecular level all mankind is a brilliant super-nova.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Hills stats through 2 pre-season games: 16 rushes for 24 yards.

Ouch.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

Cowboy Junky wrote:Hills stats through 2 pre-season games: 16 rushes for 24 yards.

Ouch.
I didn't catch every play but I also saw him let a lb sack the Qb by missing his guy

Last edited by laxwyo on Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
W-Y, Until I Die!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

Duplicate
W-Y, Until I Die!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

It's unfortunate, but he's definitely getting outplayed by the other backs. :(
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

It looks inevitable that he's about to get cut. Now his best chance is to hope to make a practice squad and then try to find a team with a running back need next year?

National Champions 1943.

I do.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

Depends if the carry 4 backs or not ( most teams do). It was a more mixed bag than the first game. He had a twelve yard run come back because of a dumb penalty away from the ball. He also picked up some 3rd down conversions that would designed to be short runs/falls. He needs to pick it up on blocking and special teams( he may Jevon missed a tackle on the punt team.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:54 am
Cowboy Junky wrote:Hills stats through 2 pre-season games: 16 rushes for 24 yards.

Ouch.
I didn't catch every play but I also saw him let a lb sack the Qb by missing his guy
I thought he looked a lot better running this weekend (didn't look tentative), but the play you mentioned was a major negative. Also nearly gave up a safety by missing a blitz pickup (pass barely got off and was tipped, nullifying intentional grounding in the end zone).
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

marcuswyo wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:52 pmDepends if the carry 4 backs or not ( most teams do).
Most teams do not. If they do, the fourth guy is probably a FB, which none of Freeman, Coleman, Ward, or Hill are.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

Actually most do. Approximately 20of 32 teams carried 4 backs in 2016. Unlucky for Hill that Atlanta was a team that did not.

https://www.google.com/amp/abcnews.go.c ... d=39985480
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

marcuswyo wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:45 pm Actually most do. Approximately 20of 32 teams carried 4 backs in 2016. Unlucky for Hill that Atlanta was a team that did not.

https://www.google.com/amp/abcnews.go.c ... d=39985480
What exactly am I looking at? I don't care about ESPN's guesses of the final roster from before 2016 training camps even opened.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

What exactly am I looking at?
May just be a projection. What information do you have that says most teams don't carry four running backs other than you just saying so? I've been wrong before and will be wrong again, but a projection is the closest I can get without actually doing time consuming research.