Scouting the Hawkeyes.....

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Offensively, I don't know if Iowa is going to move the ball against us.

Yes, our defense couldn't stop the read option last year. We did stop power rushing attacks.

Iowa is short of quality wide receivers and their qb isn't all that great. They're planning multiple tight end sets with their new offensive coordinator and some decent tight ends.

I think our defense is the most dangerous on passing downs. If we shut off the run, people have to deal with Granderson and Prosser instead.

Can Iowa run the ball up the middle on us?

I guess we'll see.

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports ... 504185001/
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
UWyo85
Buckaroo

Too bad NDSU got them last year. They will not look past the Pokes.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

Iowa's offensive line won the Joe Moore award for top offensive line in the country last year and have 4 of those 5 starters returning as well as a 1,000 yard rusher coming back right behind them.

http://joemooreaward.com/press-release/ ... rd-winners

They will probably move the ball on us and be able to run a lot better than we will on them.
The only benefit to us is both teams will try to control the clock so we may be able to hang in with the time clock moving quickly and give ourselves a shot at the end but I honestly think this will be our toughest game of the year. Tougher than Oregon. So if we hang tough with Iowa at Iowa I think we will have a really good year.
Be nice to pull this one out somehow.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

The importance of this road game cant be overstated. Not only for josh, that is well documented... but our hopes of NY6 bowl pivot on the outcome of this game. Oregon not as much as it is a home game.

a couple of thoughts. Wingard is devastating at run support between the hash marks. I hope that Hazelton pulls back the rains a little and keeps our safeties primarily back. We need to prevent breakaway plays and make them drive the long field. But that is only if our defensive front is up to the task; which I feel pretty confident that it will be improved.

I get what you are saying about iowa's oline. For some reason... which has slipped by most of the national media... our oline is nothing to sneeze at. our running back package will be without any game tape. This also weighs in Wyoming's favor as the guys that will be playing have experience and talent, and shouldn't suffer from miscues and missed assignments. The jitters will be present as they take the national stage though.

I believe our linebacking core will show some lateral technique and block-defeat skills that we have been lacking. Scotty should shore up some fundamental flaws after being on gus bradleys staff.

what I'm extremely excited about is our offensive roster is more suited for a "true" power scheme, something that college... nay, all levels of football, have forgotten. We are deep enough at the running back and tightend position that we could see a 12 play power I drive to close out a game or half.

think of this, 5 linemen, a tightend, Conway split to either side in motion, allen, van maanen, overstreet, and hall

the sheer amount of dive, trap, counter, pitch, jet, bootleg, flood play action... all with depth to keep players fresh.

if we want to go 22 package this year... we can and will. its all situational, but the availability is there

I have no doubts in our ability to move the ball. it all comes down to our defense's ability to get off the field.

what's scary, is that our roster isn't "just" built for power. its also vertical with great qb play. as a guy the once built a play book, its damn hard to properly package a defensive scheme against such balance. You can't blitz all the time, you can't stay in nickel and try to out speed a power team, you can't play too aggressive or to soft with your corners, you can try and cheat your safety help... but not against Josh Allen. it has to be a perfectly called game of cat and mouse, and you have to mask your zone or man coverage to get an extra guy in the box, and you don't want to give up the big play to Wyoming, because we are built to maintain a lead.

lets get this out there now. losing our wide receivers this offseason on paper looks BAD... but you have to realize that the greater majority of our verticle game came about because of our balance. I would say that over half of our deep balls were plays that our qb escaped pressure and our receivers improvised, moving out of double coverage towards the sideline. we probably wont complete as many of those this year, because our seniors were very surehanded. that's the beauty of lining up under center. you aren't showing your cards. defenses were so off balance it was easy to capitalize... and I don't see that changing. again, we are one of the hardest teams to scheme against.

the coach at iowa is the longest tenured coach in the country... 19 years.

its going to be a VERY important game for both squads. I bet your ass other coaches from the Big whatever are glad the don't have Wyoming first out.

we just have to play our game offensively. and we need to find a defensive identity at the line of scrimmage... and no bone head J-Allen mistakes. that's a big one. is he ready to play within himself and take what is given.

This should be the year where Vigen gets to really uncork his offense, and he has the qb (at least this year) to do it.
Last edited by carbonpoke on Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Virginian
Cowpoke

Great analysis carbonpoke! You've put a lot of thought into it. Bravo!

I'm not worried about losing the great senior receivers of last season because, as you said, the Pokes have a very balanced attack. Several of the Iowa fans are fixated on the loss of Gentry, Maulhardt, and Hollister, thinking this will be the doom of the Pokes. I'm thinking they'll be in for a nasty surprise.
This post submitted anonymously by Jeff Fry aka DCPoke
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

The Virginian wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:22 am Several of the Iowa fans are fixated on the loss of Gentry, Maulhardt, and Hollister, thinking this will be the doom of the Pokes. I'm thinking they'll be in for a nasty surprise.
I mean, that depends a lot on what's changed from the spring, where none of the receivers knew how to actually catch Allen's bullets. Allen may have developed more of a touch since then, and maybe the receivers can handle bullets now too, but... remains to be seen.

Even if we lose, I want Pokes to look good doing it. This game is important for a lot of reasons.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

We aren't your typical non Power 5 team that comes in to collect the check, boxed lunch and go home. Betcha they are scared about the NDSU game happening again, but we are a step up from FCS. It's truly gonna be fun to experience our Pokes in Big 10 country again in I.diot O.ut W.alking A.round (IOWA) land, I've always said I will be at one "upset" game with our Pokes sometime in my life and thinking this might be the year, sure hope so. Get em Pokes
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

This is no pipe dream this year.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

It's become something of a tradition for Iowa to drop early OOC games. I actually think this game ranks behind Oregon and Boise in terms of toughness. Their style of play plays right into what Bohl wants to achieve. Turnovers likely decide it, but a 24-21-ish win for Wyoming is in play here.

Bohl/Allen + Iowa's recent history...their fans have reason to be skittish and overly defensive about this game
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 7 times

ESPN's FPI actually gives us a better chance of winning the Iowa game on the road (15.9%) than the Oregon game at home (15.3%). Either way, excited for a P5 win for the first time since 2008 against that historically awful Tennessee team.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Junky you didn't get harassed this thread, how'd that happen???
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

cowpoke pride wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:04 am ESPN's FPI actually gives us a better chance of winning the Iowa game on the road (15.9%) than the Oregon game at home (15.3%). Either way, excited for a P5 win for the first time since 2008 against that historically awful Tennessee team.
pretty surprised by those odds. seems like we'd be more likely to win at home v oregon.. and at like 35%
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 7 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:24 pm
cowpoke pride wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:04 am ESPN's FPI actually gives us a better chance of winning the Iowa game on the road (15.9%) than the Oregon game at home (15.3%). Either way, excited for a P5 win for the first time since 2008 against that historically awful Tennessee team.
pretty surprised by those odds. seems like we'd be more likely to win at home v oregon.. and at like 35%
They are only giving us 23.2% on the blue turf and 45.4% at home against that school to the south.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:24 pm
Exactly. That is why Vegas has us 13 point dogs at Iowa and only 3 point dogs at home to the Ducks. Looking at things from a pre season perspective Iowa should be our toughest game this year. I could see a case made for Boise St. Being the toughest at Boise cause we have never won there and they will want to get us back for last year. Pre season odds though we are only 7 point dogs to Boise by Vegas numbers.

ESPN's numbers are just one of 100's of different computer ratings this time of year.

Never know though until the games are played.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….