I need everyone's help concerning my

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

return trip to Wyoming in a few weeks. I know this is not the exact forum for such but the Hole in the Wall forum does not get a lot of traffic.

Last year I fly into Denver from Charlotte and then drove to Cheyenne. I spend a day and a half in Cheyenne and then drove to Laramie. I visited UW and then went to the tourist office and was asking about information of what to see and do in Wyoming. We had already spend a full week in Yellowstone in 2013 and stayed inside the park. I didn't want to do that again since I had already been there.

But, I'm telling you this because I want to see some different things this year. I still plan a brief stay in Cheyenne and then I will come and spend maybe a day and a half in Laradise. I didn't get to see the old prison last year in Laramie plus I didn't get to see the Devil's Tower.

What I did see last year:
1. I drove the Snowy Mountain Range and enjoyed it but I don't think I will again this year.
2. I loved the Wind River Scenic Drive and I went through Lander and but didn't get to go by Shoshone Reservation which I very much wanted to see.
3. I drove the St. Joseph Scenic Drive and enjoyed that very much then I drove into Cody.
4. All I did in Cody was walk up and down the street. I was told after I got home that there was at least a two day adventure in Cody so I want to go back there.

What I want to do this year and need ideas as to what to see and do once I get there:

1. Besides Cheyenne and Laradise I want to visit Casper and Sheridan. I want to do some outdoorsy type stuff in both places, short hikes, etc.
2. Visit the Devil's Tower.
3.Drive the Wind River Scenic Hwy again but this time go by Shoshone.
4. Visit Cody
5. Visit Jackson Hole - I kind of know what I want to do there.
6.I want to visit the Grand Teetons again, I never get tried of seeing those.

Any help and information would be greatly appreciated. I have some pamphlets but thought first hand information would be better.

Thanks in advance.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

I would do the loop. North from Denver to Guernsey.. definitely get on the water. Then after that north to Sheridan and Buffalo. U could go to the devil's tower from there. After that I would drive across the big horns from Buffalo to ten sleep, driving through Thermopolis and seeing the canyon. Continue to Jackson hole through lander. From Jackson head south to flaming gorge. From flaming gorge head east to baggs then across to Saratoga on the scenic highway

That would be the boss trip
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Depends on how many night you have, but you could see the whole state by coming down I25 and then to book stays in: Rawlins, Kemmerer, Meeteetse, Greybull, Moorcroft, Lusk and then back to Denver. That would be the local flavor tour!
pokecountant
Ranch Hand

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:12 pm Depends on how many night you have, but you could see the whole state by coming down I25 and then to book stays in: Rawlins, Kemmerer, Meeteetse, Greybull, Moorcroft, Lusk and then back to Denver. That would be the local flavor tour!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl:
wyocowboy2014
A Real Cowboy

carbonpoke wrote:I would do the loop. North from Denver to Guernsey.. definitely get on the water. Then after that north to Sheridan and Buffalo. U could go to the devil's tower from there. After that I would drive across the big horns from Buffalo to ten sleep, driving through Thermopolis and seeing the canyon. Continue to Jackson hole through lander. From Jackson head south to flaming gorge. From flaming gorge head east to baggs then across to Saratoga on the scenic highway

This would be a great trip. My only change would be pass on Lander and going through Dubois instead. The drive into Jackson from there is beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

All of Wyoming is worth seeing, it never gets old with me!!! if you hit Buffalo a stop at the Dash Inn is in store, (my hometown) yes Devil's Tower is a must!!!
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:12 pm Depends on how many night you have, but you could see the whole state by coming down I25 and then to book stays in: Rawlins, Kemmerer, Meeteetse, Greybull, Moorcroft, Lusk and then back to Denver. That would be the local flavor tour!
I have not set a number of days and nights as of yet because I wanted to get a good idea of what I wanted to see and do but I had planned on about 8 days. Last year I was gone about 15 days but I took in Montana which I won't do this year.
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

What is a short hike for you? 1, 3, 6 miles? PM me and I can give you some other suggestions based on length and time you will be around Sheridan-Buffalo. I will say in the Bighorns I would suggest Sherd Lake out of Circle Park off US 16, or up Tongue River Canyon up by Dayton off US 14. Also, I second Stymeman, go to the Dash, if you want a steak Winchester's would be my choice.

If going from Jackson to Cody, I would recommend the east entrance road. If you want a short, but steep hike, 5 miles total with 2,000 feet elevation gain, hard to beat Avalanche Peak along the east entrance road. Be warned, while this trail sees a decent number of hikers, this is grizzly central.

In the Cody area, if you are a western art or firearm aficionado the Buffalo Bill Museum is worth a stop. Outdoor wise Heart Mountain (watch out for rattlesnakes and there is a grizzly sow that has been hanging out up there), South Fork of the Shoshone are areas worth checking out.

If you really want to see the Reservation take Wyo 134 when it spurs off US26 between Shoshone and Riverton and work your way west to Wyo 133 and then south to 287 then west towards Dubois.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Expat_Poke wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:57 pm What is a short hike for you? 1, 3, 6 miles? PM me and I can give you some other suggestions based on length and time you will be around Sheridan-Buffalo. I will say in the Bighorns I would suggest Sherd Lake out of Circle Park off US 16, or up Tongue River Canyon up by Dayton off US 14. Also, I second Stymeman, go to the Dash, if you want a steak Winchester's would be my choice.

If going from Jackson to Cody, I would recommend the east entrance road. If you want a short, but steep hike, 5 miles total with 2,000 feet elevation gain, hard to beat Avalanche Peak along the east entrance road. Be warned, while this trail sees a decent number of hikers, this is grizzly central.

In the Cody area, if you are a western art or firearm aficionado the Buffalo Bill Museum is worth a stop. Outdoor wise Heart Mountain (watch out for rattlesnakes and there is a grizzly sow that has been hanging out up there), South Fork of the Shoshone are areas worth checking out.

If you really want to see the Reservation take Wyo 134 when it spurs off US26 between Shoshone and Riverton and work your way west to Wyo 133 and then south to 287 then west towards Dubois.
Cabin creek falls is a fun, extremely short hike. Would be good for this Cheygunslinger guy (who is probably trolling us all) who has a very short time and want to do a lot. longish drive in beautiful country, get out do a quick hike, drive back.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

wyocowboy2014 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:03 pm
carbonpoke wrote:I would do the loop. North from Denver to Guernsey.. definitely get on the water. Then after that north to Sheridan and Buffalo. U could go to the devil's tower from there. After that I would drive across the big horns from Buffalo to ten sleep, driving through Thermopolis and seeing the canyon. Continue to Jackson hole through lander. From Jackson head south to flaming gorge. From flaming gorge head east to baggs then across to Saratoga on the scenic highway

This would be a great trip. My only change would be pass on Lander and going through Dubois instead. The drive into Jackson from there is beautiful.

First off, pass on Lander? Perhaps the coolest town in Wyoming? Regardless, as Carbon's route indicates, you'd drive right through the town of Dubois going from Jackson to Lander.

While in Lander, drive up to Sink's Canyon State park and take the 3.5 mile round trip to Popo Agie Falls. There is a natual waterslide that is a must. And the falls are pretty cool. You can also stop and see a river disappear into the side of a mountain and then reappear 1/2 mile down the road. A great place to see 2 plus foot trout hanging out where the river reappears.

From there take the loop rode over the southern part of the Wind River's to South Pass/Atlantic City. When you are done, you can head south to Pinedale and/or Flaming Gorge.

Happy travels.

Go Pokes!!
elfletcho
Ranch Hand

If you are driving between Thermopolis and Meeteetse, head over to Anchor Dam and see one of greatest eff-ups in Bureau of Reclamation history.
https://goo.gl/maps/qzCDyKwY7qk
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

JimmyDimes wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:28 pm
wyocowboy2014 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:03 pm

First off, pass on Lander? Perhaps the coolest town in Wyoming? Regardless, as Carbon's route indicates, you'd drive right through the town of Dubois going from Jackson to Lander.

While in Lander, drive up to Sink's Canyon State park and take the 3.5 mile round trip to Popo Agie Falls. There is a natual waterslide that is a must. And the falls are pretty cool. You can also stop and see a river disappear into the side of a mountain and then reappear 1/2 mile down the road. A great place to see 2 plus foot trout hanging out where the river reappears.

From there take the loop rode over the southern part of the Wind River's to South Pass/Atlantic City. When you are done, you can head south to Pinedale and/or Flaming Gorge.

Happy travels.

Go Pokes!!
Lander is a must see. It's a charming town. The loop road is cool. And you can do a little gambling if you're into that
Mtpoke89
Ranch Hand

Dont forget about shell canyon as well its up by sheridan, crossing the northern big horns. Also i know its in montana but it leads into ynp. Is beartooth pass. That is a awesome drive as well.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

I actually convinced myself to take my girlfriend on this trip. She is from Iowa and always tells me she wants to see more of the 'local' places in Wyoming.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:18 am
I actually convinced myself to take my girlfriend on this trip. She is from Iowa and always tells me she wants to see more of the 'local' places in Wyoming.
If you do it, while in Kemmerer, make sure to check out Fossil Butte (about 20 miles northwest of town) and/or one of the local fossil quarries. Also, while not technically in Wyoming, Bear Lake is a nice stop for some beach time just another 40 miles west of that.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

Or be a history geek.

Read the book
The Heart of Everything That Is

Then, go to:
Fort Laramie
Fort Phil Kearny (near Story)
Fort Caspar (in Casper)

There is a tremendous amount of cool history of the Indian Wars in those three places. You also understand the Bozeman Trail, Jim Bridger, the Bridger Trail....
pokecountant
Ranch Hand

I was almost sure that the suggestion of this trip was a joke. These are literally the ugliest places in Wyoming. I'm still not entirely sure you aren't pulling our legs....
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

pokecountant wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:57 pm
I was almost sure that the suggestion of this trip was a joke. These are literally the ugliest places in Wyoming. I'm still not entirely sure you aren't pulling our legs....
Everyone that visits Wyoming sees Yellowstone, the Tetons and Devils Tower. There is a lot of experiences to be had off the beaten path. I grew up in Northwest Wyoming before eventually ending up in Southeast Wyoming and have spent a lot of time travelling and hiking through the state but haven't spent any significant time in the aforementioned towns...who knows, maybe I have been missing something.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Rawlins is a nice town if you get off the interstate and some beautiful country to the south.

Meeteetse is in a pretty dang cool.beautiful area.

Greybull is a long, skinny, dumb town, but is close to the Big Horns. I think the entire Big Horn Basin is awesome. I love the desert and think it's beautiful and love how it suddenly transitions into the lush Big Horn mountians.

Moorcroft - never been, but that corner of the state is nice.

Lusk is a nice little town, but not much to do directly nearby.

To me it would be a fun/interesting trip.
Last edited by LanderPoke on Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:16 pm
Rawlins is a nice town if you get off the interstate and some beautiful country to the south.

Meeteetse is in a pretty dang cool.beautiful area.

Greybull is a long, skinny, dumb town, but is close to the Big Horns. I think the entire Big Horn Basin is awesome. I love the desert and think it's beautiful and how love how it suddenly transitions into the lush Big Horns mountians.

Moorcroft - never been, but that corner of the state is nice.

Lusk is a nice little town, but not much to do directly nearby.

To me it would be a fun/interesting trip.
Northeast Wyoming is great but should probably head a little farther east to Sundance. Sundance is great, nestled in the Black Hills. Moorcroft is alright but Sundance is better.