I should be happy but I'm a little insulted

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
pokecountant
Ranch Hand

cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Nice to see 7 of our boys on defense. If they're right about their picks, we could have a solid defensive team this season.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I think it's pretty reasonable. I may disagree with the ordering of a few of these as well (I think Penny will be the best RB this season, for example, but overall it's a good list. I'm a little surprised C.J. Johnson made it, but I suppose they count on Allen leaning heavily on him now, whereas he didn't need to before.

On top of that, having FOUR of sixteen people listed in the secondary? Man do I hope they all look as good as that. Guess if Prosser and Granderson get enough QB pressure on, they might.
pokecountant
Ranch Hand

It is pretty reasonable, you're right. And in all honesty, the preseason team isn't what matters. It's the post season one that we should be concerned with. :)
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Another rag with Rypien ahead of Allen. What an joke.
pokecountant
Ranch Hand

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 11:03 am Another rag with Rypien ahead of Allen. What an joke.
I thought the same thing. I imagine it's because they voted him 1st team last year after the season ended. And to vote Allen above him now, would be giving in to the media hype surrounding Allen. Backtracking on their selection last year, if you will. I think this just further illustrates that Allen deserved 1st team last year.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

I'm not surprised at all but I agree it's insulting to list Rypien ahead of Allen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

I honestly think Rypien deserves to be ahead of Allen. Allen is by far the better NFL prospect, but in my opinion you have to have brown-and-gold colored glasses to not be able to admit that Rypien is likely to have the better season of the two given weapons and history of decision-making. Looking at last season, Rypien's stats, especially the Interception one, look better than Allen's, which is also why he ended up with a better rating (155.7 to Allen's 144.9).

Also, this hopefully gives Allen a chip on his shoulder.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 11:29 am I honestly think Rypien deserves to be ahead of Allen. Allen is by far the better NFL prospect, but in my opinion you have to have brown-and-gold colored glasses to not be able to admit that Rypien is likely to have the better season of the two given weapons and history of decision-making. Looking at last season, Rypien's stats, especially the Interception one, look better than Allen's, which is also why he ended up with a better rating (155.7 to Allen's 144.9).

So only homers can think their player is the best in the league and will have the better year? Are you serious? Allen is the better player and will have the better year. C'mon man
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 12:12 pm
Asmodeanreborn wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 11:29 am I honestly think Rypien deserves to be ahead of Allen. Allen is by far the better NFL prospect, but in my opinion you have to have brown-and-gold colored glasses to not be able to admit that Rypien is likely to have the better season of the two given weapons and history of decision-making. Looking at last season, Rypien's stats, especially the Interception one, look better than Allen's, which is also why he ended up with a better rating (155.7 to Allen's 144.9).

So only homers can think their player is the best in the league and will have the better year? Are you serious? Allen is the better player and will have the better year. C'mon man
I'd say it's being a homer when you expect outsider non-fans to agree with that sentiment. I think Allen has by far the superior talent and I'd way rather have him than Rypien, but I still think Rypien's record looks better from a neutral point of view, and Rypien also didn't lose MWC's best Runningback (McNichols is likely easier to replace) AND arguably the best Receiver plus Tight End.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 3:00 pm
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 12:12 pm

I'd say it's being a homer when you expect outsider non-fans to agree with that sentiment. I think Allen has by far the superior talent and I'd way rather have him than Rypien, but I still think Rypien's record looks better from a neutral point of view, and Rypien also didn't lose MWC's best Runningback (McNichols is likely easier to replace) AND arguably the best Receiver plus Tight End.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Rypien in the pros, too. It's not like Rypien is a talent-less ass clown, but I think Allen is the better qb. Rypien is the product of football year round, endless camps, private coaches etc, etc.. As Josh's experience catches up we'll see Josh separate himself from guys like Rypien that are marginal NFL talents.
NebraskaCowboy
Ranch Hand

Hot take here. Rypien isn't even the second best QB in the conference. It could be argued that Stevens down south is a better QB than him. Rypien has great stats but that's all he is to me. He got outplayed in the Wyoming game and then the must win game they had against Air Force he did nothing to help them win and the rest is history. He's going to be another extremely productive college QB for Boise State who does nothing as a pro.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

NebraskaCowboy wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 3:30 pmRypien has great stats but that's all he is to me.
I'm not arguing otherwise either. The site clearly states "An important note on the all-conference teams: These are based on how players will perform in 2017," so I honestly didn't think it was all that controversial. Rypien gets his best deep threat back for this season, he gets his veteran TE back, and his starting runner this season has more experience than ours do.

Based on all those, along with Boise's general consistency over the past decade or so, is it really that much of a slap in the face to Josh? As talented as all our new receivers may be, none of them will come close to Gentry's surehandedness.

Can Allen end up with better numbers than Rypien this season? Yeah, of course, especially if he can keep himself in check and also improves his accuracy with the short passes. Is it outrageous to believe Rypien is likely to have the better stats overall? I don't think so, especially given that Iowa and Oregon are likely tougher opponents than Washington State and Virginia.
Last edited by Asmodeanreborn on Thu May 25, 2017 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pokecountant
Ranch Hand

NebraskaCowboy wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 3:30 pm Hot take here. Rypien isn't even the second best QB in the conference. It could be argued that Stevens down south is a better QB than him. Rypien has great stats but that's all he is to me. He got outplayed in the Wyoming game and then the must win game they had against Air Force he did nothing to help them win and the rest is history. He's going to be another extremely productive college QB for Boise State who does nothing as a pro.
+1 :popcorn:
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 4:15 pm
NebraskaCowboy wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 3:30 pmRypien has great stats but that's all he is to me.
I'm not arguing otherwise either. The site clearly states "An important note on the all-conference teams: These are based on how players will perform in 2017," so I honestly didn't think it was all that controversial. Rypien gets his best deep threat back for this season, he gets his veteran TE back, and his starting runner this season has more experience than ours do.

Based on all those, along with Boise's general consistency over the past decade or so, is it really that much of a slap in the face to Josh? As talented as all our new receivers may be, none of them will come close to Gentry's surehandedness.

Can Allen end up with better numbers than Rypien this season? Yeah, of course, especially if he can keep himself in check and also improves his accuracy with the short passes. Is it outrageous to believe Rypien is likely to have the better stats overall? I don't think so, especially given that Iowa and Oregon are likely tougher opponents than Washington State and Virginia.
The problem is what does "best" mean? The author claims that the projections are who will have the best season.... Best stats? Best team results? Best national ranking at the end of the year? Best personal awards? Best Bowl Game? Best draft position? Best hair do? Best GPA? What?

There is no debate that Allen has the better skill set. If it was even close you would hear Rypiens name in the WAY TOO EARLY draft projections, but you don't. There is also no doubt that Rypien, on paper, has a better group of offensive weapons coming back. All the more reason I believe Josh will have the better season, just like he did last year. He meant more to our team than Rypien did to BSU. And it is a slap in the face to see Rypien ahead of him on any national press. Hopefully he uses it as fuel and has a season for the ages.
NebraskaCowboy
Ranch Hand

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 4:15 pm

Who let the Boise State fan on the board?

All jokes aside, this isn't fantasy football where stats are what make you the first team or second team guy. I want a QB who's a game changer and nothing Rypien does says game changer. You also look for a QB to win you big games and I didn't see him do that either. As I mentioned, the two biggest games of the year for Boise they lost because they put the ball in his hands and not in McNichols. Josh Allen took a 2-10 and transformed them into an 8-6 team that won their division. I understand those projections are all about next year, but the intangibles Rypien is missing is something that you have or you don't. Put Josh on that team and they go to a NY6 bowl. With Rypien they'll just hope to win the division.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

NebraskaCowboy wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 5:08 pmAll jokes aside, this isn't fantasy football where stats are what make you the first team or second team guy.
Let me introduce you to Athlon Sports. This isn't a go-to source for in-depth knowledge on the Mountain West. They've probably not watched a whole game of Allen or Rypien. When that's the case, the only way to judge is by stats and stuff.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 4:45 pm There is no debate that Allen has the better skill set. If it was even close you would hear Rypiens name in the WAY TOO EARLY draft projections, but you don't. There is also no doubt that Rypien, on paper, has a better group of offensive weapons coming back. All the more reason I believe Josh will have the better season, just like he did last year. He meant more to our team than Rypien did to BSU. And it is a slap in the face to see Rypien ahead of him on any national press. Hopefully he uses it as fuel and has a season for the ages.
Well, like I said - I don't think this has anything to do with who's actually the best if they were given the same weapons. I don't think Rypien has a future in the NFL at all, unlike Josh.

Rypien is likely to have similar stats to last season, whereas I honestly think Josh will have fewer TD passes and yards than he did (assuming they both play all games). Josh'll make up for it by throwing less interceptions and having a higher completion percentage, though, hopefully.

Also on the NFL note - Josh's hype is based on what he could become, not what he already has become.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

we'll know how this team will be at Iowa and then the next game, night and day difference from Iowa to Gardner Webb....hope that Nebraska hands it to Oregon b4 they head to Laradise...winning at Iowa is a good possibility and think i'll make that trek(shocker) I've always said I've wanted to be at an away stadium when we get it done against the big boys this year might be the year!!! How we start will be great but correct the ending is most important!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

FWIW, Athlon has Wyoming going 7-5 (5-3) (3rd in division) and playing Idaho in the Arizona Bowl. The only other magazine I've seen is Street & Smith's. They don't predict specific records, but have Wyoming finishing 2nd in the division and playing in the Cactus Bowl. Both note that Josh Allen is awesome, defense should be good, but both have reservations about UW's ability to reload on offense.

Ultimately, these predictions tend to be wrong annually. It's all about excitement, talking about CFB in May. Nothing worth getting too worked up over.

Either way, the forecast is sunny for the Cowboys this fall.