Josh Allen hype machine

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:59 pm This is a subscription service, but thought I'd still post the link and a short excerpt:
https://twitter.com/NicoleAuerbach/stat ... 2274958336 The way coaches and scouts talk about Allen is different than the way he’s discussed in the media or among casual sports fans. And that’s to be expected after he and the Cowboys lost 24-3 to Iowa in their season-opener and 49-13 to Oregon two weeks later. Unless he’d played perfectly in both those early-season games against Power 5 foes and gone undefeated through the regular season, he was always going to face some level of skepticism. Even if it came from voices and people who don’t have any part in actual NFL draft decision-making.

Allen was an overlooked high school recruit who needed a stint at Reedley (Calif.) College to land an FBS scholarship. But he showed dynamic ability as a redshirt sophomore with Wyoming in 2016, and this past spring found his name featured prominently in 2018 NFL draft projections.

“I think the script out there was that this would be some fairytale, that we would have been able to run through the season and all of that, but I knew that was going to be very hard,” Brent Vigen, Wyoming’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, told The All-American.

“We had to figure out through the first month, month and a half, of the season, ‘Who are we as an offense?’ We knew we lost all those guys — so what would be the makeup on the flipside for us? … The unscripted part is not performing so well as a team, an offense … and him taking the brunt of that, nationally. I do think, for him, having to deal with the scrutiny that he has, especially in those first weeks, will serve him well over the long haul.”
Its a good article and a good website. I decided to give it a try this year to see if it was worth it. NOt sure if it is but it is pretty cheap and it has lots of good articles without any ads or autoplay videos. All written articles and lots of coverage of G5 programs. Also includes all the athletic sites so I get lots of Cubs coverage as well.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

TSpoke wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:34 pmIts a good article and a good website. I decided to give it a try this year to see if it was worth it. NOt sure if it is but it is pretty cheap and it has lots of good articles without any ads or autoplay videos. All written articles and lots of coverage of G5 programs. Also includes all the athletic sites so I get lots of Cubs coverage as well.
It helps if you follow one of the major markets they cover like I do (they don't have Denver yet btw). Stories like this are just gravy for me!
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 16 times

So, driving home from work today I heard one of the Arizona Cardinals Insider beat reporters saying that the head coach of Arizona is in love with Josh Allen. They definitely have him as their number one pick if he is still on the board when they draft. I would love that!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

phxpoke wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:00 pm So, driving home from work today I heard one of the Arizona Cardinals Insider beat reporters saying that the head coach of Arizona is in love with Josh Allen. They definitely have him as their number one pick if he is still on the board when they draft. I would love that!
I wouldn't be surprised about that. He's worked with Roethlisberger and Luck, two guys who have similarities to Allen in size and mobility.
CodyPoke
Ranch Hand

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/14/josh- ... -prospects

This article points out his low completion rate. Wonder what his rate would be if there had not been so many drops earlier in the season?
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

CodyPoke wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:45 pm https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/14/josh- ... -prospects

This article points out his low completion rate. Wonder what his rate would be if there had not been so many drops earlier in the season?
While I don't think he could do what he did vs Air Force every night (8 for 11 for 70 yards and a TD), they supposedly had a "great" secondary. His passes had zip and were right on target in the half he did play. If he (and his receivers) had played like that consistently from game 1, I could see between 65 and 70% easily.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:50 pm Does anyone have insider?
http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/insid ... ojans-more
I have it I will try to get what is written for you.
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Josh Allen, Wyoming Cowboys

Fourth-year junior | 25 starts | Kiper's QB ranking: No. 3

"The good: Allen's raw ability and 6-5 frame will be a major draw in terms of his overall ceiling. Look, the tools are there. A rocket arm, solid athleticism and the ability to make off-schedule plays -- Allen has monster upside. Go back to the touchdown pass against Boise State when Allen rolled outside to dial up six (see above) or the strike from the pocket in the win over New Mexico. He just flicked that ball and put it on a rope from 45 yards out. Allen can launch the ball from any platform, and the velocity means every route is in play. This guy can sling it.

The bad: Allen didn't flash much in his two major tests this year against Iowa and Oregon. I expected more there. And he hasn't lit up the lower-level competition in the Mountain West Conference, leaving plays on the field like the seam route that was picked against Boise State. Gotta hit that window and drive the ball. Add in the sandlot plays that have a short shelf life in the NFL and I see a QB who has a ways to go before he hits his true ceiling. Even with the amount of talent that left Wyoming after last season, Allen, who's dealing with a shoulder injury now, hasn't quite played up to the hype.

The verdict: This is about projecting talent. And the Wyoming quarterback has plenty of it. He's going to wow NFL teams in the pre-draft throwing sessions, and he should test well at the combine. Now, I don't see a top-15 prospect here, even projecting out his ceiling. But don't be surprised if he comes off the board much earlier than expected. Some team is going to bite. There's too much raw ability to pass up."
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

I was browsing mock drafts and everyone seems to have soured on him. Now that have quarterbacks like Rudolph, Mayfield, Lamar Jackson, etc., going before him. Some don't event have him projected in the first round. Funny how things change so quickly.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Thanks for posting that!

Honestly, Josh slipping wouldn't be a bad thing. It might get him on a team that can afford to let him sit.

He needs minimum 2 years sitting, imo.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:49 pm Thanks for posting that!

Honestly, Josh slipping wouldn't be a bad thing. It might get him on a team that can afford to let him sit.

He needs minimum 2 years sitting, imo.
I agree. Josh relies way too much on his physical gifts and doesn't stick to his fundamentals like he should. A couple years behind Tom Brady or Ben Roethlisberger in a good system would really increase his chances of having a long and productive NFL career.
dapokes
Ranch Hand

He has played through obvious in game injuries all season and we would be lucky to have him for his senior year but we won't and he will be a top-10 pick. He's had zero run game this season as support and has displayed leadership and big time throws this year (i.e.hawaii overtime).

Funny to see some on this board change their minds so fast when Wyo fans know, scouts know, coaches know, and GMs know how special of a talent he is.

2 years minimum? Tell me the last quarterback not named Aaron Rodgers who sat for 2 yr or more and developed. Nobody sits for more than half a season now.
dapokes
Ranch Hand

B/R's Matt Miller (who flip flops so much when it comes to Josh so he won't admit he's anything but right come draft time) That guy actually had a discussion on a podcast debating whether Josh should be a grad transfer to a better school...asshole.

Let the mainstream media debate all they want. They don't watch our games. Thanks for the recruiting help. Come April, it won't matter. Could actually see Josh end up on the Bills w Yarborough because it looks like they're distancing themselves from Tyrod Taylor.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I have no doubt he gets drafted bar injury but I would like to see him a late first round so they don’t have to rely on him to contribute immediately.

I’m of the opinion that he could benefit from another year but realize we were probably lucky he came back this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

What's the success rate of drafted QBs? Imo, his chance of success is enhanced if he slips. I'm not at all turning on Josh. I want him to have a fantastic career.

He's raw and needs time to develop. He's on a team largely devoid of talent and hasn't been lights out in a MWC full of bad defenses.

Somehow, if he gets on an NFL team devoid of talent (ie top 10), he'll be ready? Umm, yeah, that makes sense
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

ragtimejoe1 wrote:What's the success rate of drafted QBs? Imo, his chance of success is enhanced if he slips. I'm not at all turning on Josh. I want him to have a fantastic career.

He's raw and needs time to develop. He's on a team largely devoid of talent and hasn't been lights out in a MWC full of bad defenses.

Somehow, if he gets on an NFL team devoid of talent (ie top 10), he'll be ready? Umm, yeah, that makes sense
That’s how I see it. Talent he has in spades but I don’t think he’s ready to carry a franchise on his back yet. I hope he finds a team with a need in a year or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

He needs time, but that won't stop him from being drafted early if a team believes in him. There are a lot of QB-needy teams.
dapokes
Ranch Hand

http://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status ... 1860665345
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

dapokes wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:07 am http://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status ... 1860665345
I could totally see that!