Josh Allen hype machine

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

seattlecowboy wrote:This is a more realistic article to me.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2017/0 ... n/a3yfeoe/
I would say completely opposite of a realistic article. He paints Josh as being a mediocre QB from a small school with low talent level.

No mention of not attending football camps or the fact he didn't grow into his body until jr college.

If he had the facts and started facts id agree but there only thing he knows about Josh is what he had seen on tape and the fact he wasn't a 5 star high school kid. That article is the complete opposite but if you take all the articles and pin them together you get a really good idea about Josh and what he is capable of.

He has as much potential to be the next Andrew Luck just as he has the same potential to be the next Blake Bortles or he could be right in the middle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Wyo2dal wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 6:16 am

I would say completely opposite of a realistic article. He paints Josh as being a mediocre QB from a small school with low talent level.

No mention of not attending football camps or the fact he didn't grow into his body until jr college.

If he had the facts and started facts id agree but there only thing he knows about Josh is what he had seen on tape and the fact he wasn't a 5 star high school kid. That article is the complete opposite but if you take all the articles and pin them together you get a really good idea about Josh and what he is capable of.

He has as much potential to be the next Andrew Luck just as he has the same potential to be the next Blake Bortles or he could be right in the middle.

We must have read different articles. The only thing I really have a quibble with is the beginning when he refers to the hype around Allen. I think he overstates it significantly. He is being talked about consistently as a first round, Top 10, type pick next year, but he is not being discussed as the best QB prospect this decade or something. The general consensus is a raw, talented, prospect with high upside. More along the lines of Trubisky than Luck.

In terms of the rest of the article, all the things about Josh's career to date were just laying out the facts (where he played, who recruited him, and what his numbers were last year). Not much to argue about there.

The evaluation portion is more subjective, but it sure rang true to me. He is big, strong, fast, and can make very challenging throws due to his arm strength. He also exhibits good leadership traits as he notes. The criticisms, which included footwork, decision making, and relying on his arm to much all seem pretty valid to me.

Last year's offense, as great as Brian Hill was, seemed to be mostly a case of "Josh Allen giveth" and "Josh Allen taketh away". He completed probably 5 throws better than any UW quarterback I have ever seen, but he also had some of the worst decisions you will ever see. His rawness was evident in the cases where he didn't see wide open receivers and when he threw deep back across his body when the defense was baiting him into it (BYU game being the most obvious example).

The good thing for Allen is that he can learn and improve his footwork and decision making. That matches the main conclusion to the article, which is that if Allen is the exact same player this year that he was last year, he is probably not as high level of a prospect as the current projections, but if he improves in those elements he could be a very high draft pick next year. That's what the projections (and Wyoming fans hopes for the season) are banking on.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

+1. Article was trash. For example Allen can easily throw the ball 60-65 yards in the air and capable of much more if he steps into it. Josh can trow it 55 across his body with the flick of a wrist
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

The championship game showed his arm strength on the 50 yard td on a frozen rope to gentry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

You guys that think the article was trash are hilarious.

The dude that wrote it scouted for the Bears for 30 years and knows a lot more than most of the people writing the articles.

You guys need to take off your brown and gold glasses and be more realistic. Oh.. how a few months away from the bowl game can make people believe things because of some hype that haven't proved fact yet.

The guy didn't demean Josh at all. He was basically saying Josh has a lot of physical gifts but he is no Andrew luck and I happen to agree with him. If you guys think Josh is on par with Andrew Luck when Luck was a sophomore or junior than I have some ocean front property to sell ya in Arizona. Luck threw 32 td's only 8 int's and threw 70% completion percentage as a sophomore. Did it on a top 10 team also.

Josh didn't do anything close to that.

So don't see how the article is wrong.

Josh needs a lot better decision making skills with his throws and to not throw so many picks.

So yeah the article was a lot more realistic than most of the others I have read where everyone states he might be the number 1 pick.

I hope he can get good enough in the area's he needs to improve to be the number 1 pick but personally I think that both Lamar Jackson and Sam Darnold are better QB's than Josh at this point.

So to me the article is more realistic.

You are all welcome to your opinions but saying the article was trash just because it doesn't anoint Josh the next Joe Montana or John Elway is funny. Most of what the guy said in the article was true.

Don't really see the problem with it.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I mean... I fall somewhere in the middle of how I feel about the article. Under 60% completion is bad. The number of Interceptions he threw is bad.

He's hyped a ton because of potential, but to reach that potential, he has a ton of things he badly needs to work on. He will not be drafted highly if he has another year with 57% completions and 15+ Interceptions.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

seattlecowboy wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 2:29 pm You guys that think the article was trash are hilarious.

The dude that wrote it scouted for the Bears for 30 years and knows a lot more than most of the people writing the articles.

You guys need to take off your brown and gold glasses and be more realistic. Oh.. how a few months away from the bowl game can make people believe things because of some hype that haven't proved fact yet.

The guy didn't demean Josh at all. He was basically saying Josh has a lot of physical gifts but he is no Andrew luck and I happen to agree with him. If you guys think Josh is on par with Andrew Luck when Luck was a sophomore or junior than I have some ocean front property to sell ya in Arizona. Luck threw 32 td's only 8 int's and threw 70% completion percentage as a sophomore. Did it on a top 10 team also.

Josh needs a lot better decision making skills with his throws and to not throw so many picks.

So yeah the article was a lot more realistic than most of the others I have read where everyone states he might be the number 1 pick.

I hope he can get good enough in the area's he needs to improve to be the number 1 pick but personally I think that both Lamar Jackson and Sam Darnold are better QB's than Josh at this point.

You are all welcome to your opinions but saying the article was trash just because it doesn't anoint Josh the next Joe Montana or John Elway is funny. Most of what the guy said in the article was true.

I've seen no one calling him the next Andrew Luck. The best QB since Luck maybe, but not the next Luck. Not the next Montana or Elway either.

Jackson and Darnold may be better college QBs, but that's why we're talking about who might be the No. 1 pick and not who might be the Heisman winner. Different discussions that have different qualifications.

When he started he listed the reasons he is overhyped, he said it's because he's from a small town, went to a JUCO and ended up at Wyoming. Since you don't think the article was insulting, did you think that was a compliment?

If only there was an example of a recent QB who overcame being massively underrecruited and still ended up a top pick. Does the name Carson Wentz ring a bell? You wouldn't happen to know the names of the head coach and offensive coordinator who discovered and recruited him, would you?

Nobody's saying Allen is the perfect QB prospect. It's important to understand that these teams often draft not only on college production, but also on what they view as a prospect's potential. That's where Allen's hype kicks in. Teams look at body type. Check. Arm talent. Check. Mobility. Check. Command in the huddle. Check.

He's been a starter for barely more than one season and he probably would've been a Top 10 pick this year, so I don't know why it's so asinine to think he could be the top guy next year.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

joshvanklomp wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 3:35 pm
seattlecowboy wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 2:29 pm You guys that think the article was trash are hilarious.

I've seen no one calling him the next Andrew Luck. The best QB since Luck maybe, but not the next Luck. Not the next Montana or Elway either.

Jackson and Darnold may be better college QBs, but that's why we're talking about who might be the No. 1 pick and not who might be the Heisman winner. Different discussions that have different qualifications.

When he started listed the reasons he is overhyped, he said it's because he's from a small town, went to a JUCO and ended up at Wyoming. Since you don't think the article was insulting, did you think that was a compliment?

If only there was an example of a recent QB who overcame being massively underrecruited and still ended up a top pick. Does the name Carson Wentz ring a bell? You wouldn't happen to know the names of the head coach and offensive coordinator who discovered and recruited him, would you?

Nobody's saying Allen is the perfect QB prospect. It's important to understand that these teams often draft not only on college production, but also on what they view as a prospect's potential. That's where Allen's hype kicks in. Teams look at body type. Check. Arm talent. Check. Mobility. Check. Command in the huddle. Check.

He's been a starter for barely more than one season and he probably would've been a Top 10 pick this year, so I don't know why it's so asinine to think he could be the top guy next year.
I never said it was asanine for Josh to be projected high. What I am saying is asanine is to say that the article was trash.

The article was actually spot on and I don't think the guy was trying to slight Josh at all.

To be honest I think Josh is lucky that he is even being mentioned as highvas he is right now because his decision making needs to get a LOT better if he wants to do what Carson Wentz did and get picked high.

So again I don't see any problem with the article.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

seattlecowboy wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 3:35 pm

When he started listed the reasons he is overhyped, he said it's because he's from a small town, went to a JUCO and ended up at Wyoming. Since you don't think the article was insulting, did you think that was a compliment?

I never said it was asanine for Josh to be projected high. What I am saying is asanine is to say that the article was trash.

The article was actually spot on and I don't think the guy was trying to slight Josh at all.

To be honest I think Josh is lucky that he is even being mentioned as highvas he is right now because his decision making needs to get a LOT better if he wants to do what Carson Wentz did and get picked high.

So again I don't see any problem with the article.
Who used the word trash about the article? I think he threw shade and insulted UW by pointing out that he is being over hyped because he ended up the jr college route at Wyoming.

Fact is Josh has to improve and everyone here knows that including Josh but the fact he positioned the article how he did is like saying if he was at a P5 school the hype would be legit.

This will always happen the good, the bad the hyperbole and the not giving any credit.

He could have said everything he did without the UW comment I might feel different. Everyone had their own opinion I'll wait to see how the season ends up.

stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

i hope he's working his tail off and fulfilling the necessary % to be considered a good NFL QB, I honestly think if theres this much hype now, a 4th year (really 3.5) next year will be there as well.
Again, with all this we shall see, I just hope we win games as well
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 2:29 pm
And how many good QB's did the Bears get during that time? While not all the scouts fault, forgive me for being skeptical on a former Bears scout when it comes to quarterbacks. Now linebackers or running backs that is another story, but that franchise has been awful at picking QB's and scouts play a part in that. This is coming from a bears fan.

That is not to say that there is not risk in drafting Allen, there is. Allen has a shot to better his play and prove himself this season. That is a great chance and it is good exposure right now for UW. Here is to hoping Allen makes the best of it.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I'd be willing to bet that Josh is not sitting on his hands this summer waiting for the season to start. I'm sure he is out there working his tail off at camps and at UW trying to correct the things that need to be corrected and studying the films of his performances last year. Give the guy a chance and some respect - he is no dummy.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

One of the many articles on him said that he would be at the Manning Passing Academy this summer.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

LanderPoke wrote:

+1. Article was trash. For example Allen can easily throw the ball 60-65 yards in the air and capable of much more if he steps into it. Josh can trow it 55 across his body with the flick of a wrist
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zkA4MzHFV8A

Poke-proud
Cowpoke

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oRDSJJx9OtY

Poke-proud
Cowpoke

Best of all 80 yard throw -

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6CQOejkWs88

laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Reading the comments, there's as many haters as there are lovers

W-Y, Until I Die!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

One of the better articles I've read with much more substance.

2018 NFL Draft: Josh Allen battling Sam Darnold for the top QB spot

Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

Yet another solid article about Josh, it seems these won't die anytime soon but i never get tired of reading them.

Wyoming Football: Is Josh Allen a sure-fire franchise quarterback?