Josh Allen hype machine

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 104 times

OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

Well, we will really get to see Josh Allen's attitude this year and whether he lets this go to his head and distract from playing football. If he is able to handle all this attention and perform at a high level to help Wyoming win football games, then he will deserve to be a high draft pick.

All this attention is a double edged sword.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 10:13 am Well, we will really get to see Josh Allen's attitude this year and whether he lets this go to his head and distract from playing football. If he is able to handle all this attention and perform at a high level to help Wyoming win football games, then he will deserve to be a high draft pick.

All this attention is a double edged sword.
That, and he doesn't have many veteran receivers to lean on either. He's going to be forced to learn to have a softer touch on the short passes to help the new guys out.

On top of that, he also needs to show he actually did learn from that last throw vs BYU.
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

I kind of hate all these early 2018 mock drafts coming out. Have they ever been right? Remember how Jake Locker was a guaranteed #1 pick,or Jimmy Clausen? It's great exposure for our program, but it seems like Josh has no where to go but down and anything short of a Heisman will be a disappointment.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

303cowboy wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 1:46 pm I kind of hate all these early 2018 mock drafts coming out. Have they ever been right? Remember how Jake Locker was a guaranteed #1 pick,or Jimmy Clausen? It's great exposure for our program, but it seems like Josh has no where to go but down and anything short of a Heisman will be a disappointment.
Locker was still a Top 10 pick. Allen drafted anywhere in the first round better not be viewed as a disappointment.

Last time Wyoming had a....
1st round draft pick: Lawrence Gaines and Aaron Kyle (1976)
2nd round draft pick: Ryan Yarborough (1994)
3rd round draft pick: Steve Scifres (1997)
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

I think the only negative in all of this is that it sets a high bar for fans. It's very rare that any program has a QB worthy of a top pick in the 1st round. Hell, nobody in the MW has done it recently. As great as Derek Carr has turned out, he went in the early 2nd.

How are fans going to feel if Wyoming has "the next John Elway" and only goes 7-5 in 2017? The more hype builds up, it more the definition of an acceptable season changes.

You would think that considering Wyoming hasn't made back-to-back bowls in nearly 30 years that just getting to a bowl would be considered a success. Reality is, now I'm starting to get the vibe that anything under 9-3 = perceived failure.
Last edited by J-Rod on Tue May 02, 2017 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

joshvanklomp wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 2:39 pm
303cowboy wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 1:46 pm I kind of hate all these early 2018 mock drafts coming out. Have they ever been right? Remember how Jake Locker was a guaranteed #1 pick,or Jimmy Clausen? It's great exposure for our program, but it seems like Josh has no where to go but down and anything short of a Heisman will be a disappointment.
Locker was still a Top 10 pick. Allen drafted anywhere in the first round better not be viewed as a disappointment.

I will be excited for Josh wherever he get's drafted. I guess I question the accuracy of these way too early mock drafts and if it paints an unnecessary bulls-eye for scrutiny on these guys.

Here is Matt Miller's "way too early 2017 mock draft". He had Brad Kaaya (QB from Miami) going 4th overall to the niners. He goes on to say Kaaya "looks the part with great size (6'4", 210 lbs) and a big arm. He's also athletic enough to slide around in the pocket and make plays off schedule". sound familiar? Kaaya was drafted 6th round last weekend.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2637 ... redictions
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

J-Rod wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 3:22 pm I think the only negative in all of this is that it sets a high bar for fans. It's very rare that any program has a QB worthy of a top pick in the 1st round. Hell, nobody in the MW has done it recently. As great as Derek Carr has turned out, he went in the early 2nd.

How are fans going to feel if Wyoming has "the next John Elway" and only goes 7-5 in 2017? The more hype builds up, it more the definition of an acceptable season changes.

You would think that considering Wyoming hasn't made back-to-back bowls in nearly 30 years that just getting to a bowl would be considered a success. Reality is, now I'm starting to get the vibe that anything under 9-3 = perceived failure.
I'm going to feel just fine because I realize that Josh Allen is only one player in a team game. Being a top pick in the NFL Draft doesn't require a great record in the college season, just like being a great team doesn't require loads of top draft picks. The No. 2 pick this year was coming off an 8-5 record.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

joshvanklomp wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 2:39 pm

It's insane to me that the Cowboys haven't had so much as a third round pick in over 20 years. You would have think we would have lucked into one at some point! I think it's safe to say Josh will break this streak. Have to get that completion percentage way up though.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Anther solid article with some accuracy which usually lacks when people write about anything Wyoming sports related.

Josh Allen, Wyoming: 2018 NFL Draft Scouting Report

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I hope he lives up to the hype. Part of me wonders if I'm the only person who sees the glaring shortcomings in his game but that article points out the shortcomings quite well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
johnywyo
Ranch Hand

pokefanchaz7 wrote:I hope he lives up to the hype. Part of me wonders if I'm the only person who sees the glaring shortcomings in his game but that article points out the shortcomings quite well.

"glaring shortcomings" what I see in Josh is great potential. Scouts and talent evaluators are assessing that; he will need to improve in game making decisions and still deliver the ball in a more calculated measure. He is not coming in under the radar, DC's in this league know his ability and that will prove to be a constant as the season progresses. I see huge upside, and wonder what "glaring shortcomings" is being considered.

At the molecular level all mankind is a brilliant super-nova.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

One NFL guy said he needed to work on his "toughness", so I guess he's never watched him at all and is just saying things.

W-Y, Until I Die!
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

laxwyo wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 9:12 am One NFL guy said he needed to work on his "toughness", so I guess he's never watched him at all and is just saying things.

I agree! About his toughness - if I was going into battle again, I would take his toughness any day. He has already earned his toughness badge.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

WYCowboy wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 9:48 am
laxwyo wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 9:12 am One NFL guy said he needed to work on his "toughness", so I guess he's never watched him at all and is just saying things.

I agree! About his toughness - if I was going into battle again, I would take his toughness any day. He has already earned his toughness badge.
If anything, his toughness is a major reason he doesn't have almost two seasons under his belt rather than one.
thirtyseven
Ranch Hand

[url]http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/insid ... -nfl-draft[/

In the Video Todd McShay discusses Allen
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I think perhaps he was referring to mental "toughness" I have no doubt about Josh's physical toughness but I have seen him mentally/emotionally rattled. Complaining to the ref or looking for a flag, etc. He has got to quit that to be successful at the next level.
I'm good for 3!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

One thing for sure that I'm concerned from a school stand point is this will be the most national publicity UW has ever received and I don't think the school is smart enough to back Allen and take advantage of the exposure.

Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

Yet another article this one much more in depth with more substance and less hyperbole.

[URL="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-s ... 1-in-2018/]NFL scouts are already salivating over the Wyoming QB who could go No. 1 in 2018[/URL]

stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

still don't like "sellout" Dan Patrick but good talk, and we shall see