Wyoming gave up 690 yards of total offense

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
GOWYO
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

There are many, many great feelings to be had about this season, even if we lose the next two. But it has to be said: Serious consideration has to be given to firing Stanard. I mean, after the UNLV game I knew New Mexico could get ugly on us.... but nearly 700 yards of total offense? Three different guys averaged around 15 yards per carry against us? No. Not acceptable under any circumstances.
elfletcho
Ranch Hand

I've been arguing that the entire defense got a bad run of new mexico green chili and they all had food poisoning. Only thing that makes sense.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

But he also was the defensive coach that beat up Air Force, the Aztecs, csu, and boise. I know tonight and unlv were bad but body of work as a whole is an improvement over past seasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

He gave up 3 losses to option teams. Clearly he doesn't know how to scheme and or coach against the option.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

That was beyond embarrassing but I got drunk and whatever Bohl game we go to I'll be there

WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

pokefanchaz7 wrote:But he also was the defensive coach that beat up Air Force, the Aztecs, csu, and boise. I know tonight and unlv were bad but body of work as a whole is an improvement over past seasons

He is a better coach than Marty English. He lost tonight with a bunch of his sophomores down and has won a good chunk of games tonight.

The appleby loss really hurts us.
Hayduke
Cowpoke

Totally unprepared for that UNM running offense. That's on Stanard. I'd like to chalk it up to inexperienced players. But, I can't. For all the good he has done, something is lacking. Might be time for a change.
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

This is so us

W-Y, Until I Die!
roozy
Ranch Hand

With last night's performances by both of the MWC Championship Game contenders, I would venture to speculate there was more concern about next week's game than this.
Jesus First, then football
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

Good Lord.

Let me explain something: when a consensus pre-season last place team is coached to a division championship and the title game, you don't fire coordinators. You reward coordinators.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke

You don't reward coordinators who show a complete failure to adapt to a one dimensional offense. The scheme was awful last night, and clearly they didn't coach the players any eye discipline or sticking with assignments.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

You don't reward coordinators who show a complete failure to adapt to a one dimensional offense. The scheme was awful last night, and clearly they didn't coach the players any eye discipline or sticking with assignments.
Right. Championships be damned. Punish those coordinators.

God only knows why we didn't "scheme" our freshman and sophomore defensive linemen to victory.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

I really don't see how the loss of Appleby made our LB play out of position all night or how the loss of Granderson made Wingard chase the wrong man consistently all night or how the loss of maulaulu (sp?) made our entire defense slant in the wrong direction. Those guys may have helped, but last night was a scheme issue, a coaching issue.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke

SnowyRange wrote:
Right. Championships be damned. Punish those coordinators.

God only knows why we didn't "scheme" our freshman and sophomore defensive linemen to victory.
you mean the mostly senior and junior laden line and linebackers? You don't really know anything about this team.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:I really don't see how the loss of Appleby made our LB play out of position all night or how the loss of Granderson made Wingard chase the wrong man consistently all night or how the loss of maulaulu (sp?) made our entire defense slant in the wrong direction. Those guys may have helped, but last night was a scheme issue, a coaching issue.
Exactly. Especially with senior linebackers like wacha, nzoacha and may.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

you mean the mostly senior and junior laden line and linebackers? You don't really know anything about this team.
Son, you don't have a clue.

Here's who got playing time on defense:

Seniors: 2.

Juniors: 3.

Sophomores: 6.

Freshmen: 3.

They got beat. Bohl and his coordinators have forgotten more football than you'll ever know, and they've led this young bunch to a division championship and the title game.

I'm proud of the boys, and proud of the job our head coach and the coordinators have done.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke

Lol you don't know anything about football. Stannard was exposed and you are too much of an ignorant homer to even realize. Conflating the youth of the secondary doesn't prove your point it proves mine. The poop I took this morning knows more about football than you. And don't call me son you crotchety old phuck.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

A pretty strong case can be made that the defense has been the difference between us being 10-2 or even 11-1 and 8-4. Now certainly before the season we would have all signed up for 8-4, but we probably thought 8-4 meant we were beating EMU, UNLV and New Mexico.
cowboyz
Cowpoke

Last night sucked, no doubt. I feel the game may have played out differently had we "had" to win. This is a transition year for WYO and a damn good one. I am okay with not firing anyone, let the coordinators grow with the young players at this point. We were not the only team who poop the bed defensively this weekend.

#17 WSU gave up 500+ yards in their rivalry game and lost.
#16 Nebraska had 40 dropped on them and lost.
#20 Houston gave up 500+ yards and 48 points to finish their regular season with 9 wins, and their coach is heading to Texas.
#11 Louisville gave up 500+ yards and lost to a basketball school.
#13 Auburn gave up 500+ yards and lost in their rivalry game.

The list of ranked or historically good programs who lost badly this weekend goes on...

New Mexico wasn't a ranked team, but neither were we. Most of these other teams had more to play for and blew it. We can't judge our success on other team's failures, but it shows that this is the college football landscape. Most comparable teams can crush another on any given day.

Right now we can win the MWC and a bowl game and finish with 10 wins. Not a bad transition year if we can pull it off.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

If SDSU lines up in pistol formation on Saturday, I might just leave. I'm really not into slasher movies and similar entertainment.

Speaking of which - why can't we stop that type of offense, while we kept the assignments just fine vs Air Force? It's not _that_ different, is it? Is it really all because of the linemen we lost?