Wyoming Spring Football Focus: Quarterback

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

ImageImageImageImage
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 104 times

Don't forget about Nick Spozr! He's the holder, but he'll probably be in the QB competition as well. Granted, I don't see him winning it, but he's certainly worth a look.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

Bohl: "Nick Smith is a guy who has great leadership skills, has played in our system and has won games at the quarterback position."

Did I miss these games? Surely he isn't talking about Florida HS football five years ago. If so, we are in BIG trouble.
Wicks
Blog Team
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

WYO1016 wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:12 am Don't forget about Nick Spozr! He's the holder, but he'll probably be in the QB competition as well. Granted, I don't see him winning it, but he's certainly worth a look.
He's 100% not in the mix to start.
HiCountryCowboy
Ranch Hand

Poke in New England wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:17 am Bohl: "Nick Smith is a guy who has great leadership skills, has played in our system and has won games at the quarterback position."

Did I miss these games? Surely he isn't talking about Florida HS football five years ago. If so, we are in BIG trouble.
He HELD ON w/AF last year. Maybe intramurals? Perhaps Sigma Nu's "flag" football tourney?
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

I refuse to believe Smith is the best quarterback on this roster. If he is: A. The recruiting of quarterbacks has been abysmal; and B. Next season will be a long, long, long, long, long, LONG season.
onePokeovertheline
Ranch Hand

SDPokeFan wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:02 pm I refuse to believe Smith is the best quarterback on this roster. If he is: A. The recruiting of quarterbacks has been abysmal; and B. Next season will be a long, long, long, long, long, LONG season.
Smith was in the first Bohl class that was put together at the last second. Allen was in the second class...just abysmal.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

onePokeovertheline wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:03 pm
SDPokeFan wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:02 pm I refuse to believe Smith is the best quarterback on this roster. If he is: A. The recruiting of quarterbacks has been abysmal; and B. Next season will be a long, long, long, long, long, LONG season.
Smith was in the first Bohl class that was put together at the last second. Allen was in the second class...just abysmal.
Come on you know what I mean.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

I wonder how Chandler Garrett feels about his transfer now. He likely would've been the incumbent starter in spring ball and in spot duty last year.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

joshvanklomp wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:44 pm I wonder how Chandler Garrett feels about his transfer now. He likely would've been the incumbent starter in spring ball and in spot duty last year.
Yeah. What a pansy for transferring. He was all butthurt he didn't get a fair shot at playing time and the coaches lied to him about having an opportunity to play right away.
CodyPoke
Ranch Hand

I think he was a backup this past year at the place he transferred to-- Central Oklahoma
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

CodyPoke wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:36 pm I think he was a backup this past year at the place he transferred to-- Central Oklahoma
Correct. Finished the year 4-5 passing.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

CodyPoke wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:36 pm I think he was a backup this past year at the place he transferred to-- Central Oklahoma
Central Oklahoma. Geez. I guess he was homesick.
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

So what happens if one of two qbs or both get injured? Having 2 qbs go down in one season is not unheard of. Do we really have no one else? The staff didn't recruit or bring in a transfer at all? In that scenario how do they even run a practice with no qbs much less a game?

Most teams seem to have at least 4 qbs that are either competing for a spot or redshirting. Do we have any true freshman coming in, that could play, in case both get injured?
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 142 times

WyomingAg wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:34 am So what happens if one of two qbs or both get injured? Having 2 qbs go down in one season is not unheard of. Do we really have no one else? The staff didn't recruit or bring in a transfer at all? In that scenario how do they even run a practice with no qbs much less a game?

Most teams seem to have at least 4 qbs that are either competing for a spot or redshirting. Do we have any true freshman coming in, that could play, in case both get injured?
Ummm, Sean Chambers. Guessing he’ll be 3rd in depth chart unless we’re missing a walk-on
W-Y, Until I Die!
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

laxwyo wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:38 am
WyomingAg wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:34 am So what happens if one of two qbs or both get injured? Having 2 qbs go down in one season is not unheard of. Do we really have no one else? The staff didn't recruit or bring in a transfer at all? In that scenario how do they even run a practice with no qbs much less a game?

Ummm, Sean Chambers. Guessing he’ll be 3rd in depth chart unless we’re missing a walk-on
Oh good. Glad we have someone else coming in. Couldn't remember if we recruited any, all the info so far has only been about the 2 qbs.
Jellystone
Buckaroo

they brought in one scholarship guy in Chambers, a PWO in Marquez, and Isaiah Ramsey a juco transfer that has never played.....{not sure he was even wanted}

Marquez and Ramsey won't be on campus until fall camp. Chambers will arrive in June with the rest of the signees. I doubt that Ramsey makes the trip...JMO

You're forgetting about Nick Szpor who actually backed up Smith after Allen went down last year.

All in all, there should be plenty of throwers around for depth and scout team services come the fall.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

We could just direct snap it to Overstreet, because at least it's not Smith. Though I'm a bit disappointed with how little weight Overstreet's put on. He was 216 at the start of last season, and apparently is at 220 now. Guess he does have all summer too, though.