Rank the Top 5 UW QBs All Time

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

WyoVaquero wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:40 am I know a lot of people want to put the bramlets in the top 5 because of them being wyoming boys, but they should not crack the top five. Josh Allen, Josh Wallwork, Brett Smith, Randy Welniak, Joe Hughes, Craig Burnett were all better. Casey is probably around 7 or 8, but Corey doesn't crack the top 10. Tom Corontzos, Casey Bramlet, Jay Stoner are in the second 5.
Disagree. Casey Bramlet had 3 seasons of 3000+ passing yards. He has a lead of almost 1000 yards in career passing in Wyoming history. He had a cannon for an arm and was drafted in the 7th round. Had the defense not been garbage, he would have had quite a few more wins. Probably the most physically talented quarterback that Wyoming has had other than Josh Allen.

Any mention of Jay Stoner near the top 10 makes me shake my head. The only thing he had going for him is that he got a ton of starts ("we want Swanson").
Steamboat
Buckaroo

Adv8RU12 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:03 pm Depends how you define "top". My number one is Joe Mastrogiovanni. He started the Pokes to be a passing team. And he kicked field goals, ran, and played secondary defense. He and Jim Crawford WERE the team. And he had a cool, cocky demeanor that you couldn't help but like.
You remember Joe?
scrapperdan
Buckaroo

WyoVaquero wrote:I know a lot of people want to put the bramlets in the top 5 because of them being wyoming boys, but they should not crack the top five. Josh Allen, Josh Wallwork, Brett Smith, Randy Welniak, Joe Hughes, Craig Burnett were all better. Casey is probably around 7 or 8, but Corey doesn't crack the top 10. Tom Corontzos, Casey Bramlet, Jay Stoner are in the second 5.
Finally someone gets it closer to realty. My only change would be to asterisk Allen for obvious reasons and mention ACS. He was a gamer.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Steamboat wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:51 am
Adv8RU12 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:03 pm Depends how you define "top". My number one is Joe Mastrogiovanni. He started the Pokes to be a passing team. And he kicked field goals, ran, and played secondary defense. He and Jim Crawford WERE the team. And he had a cool, cocky demeanor that you couldn't help but like.
You remember Joe?
Yes. I was at UW then. A bunch of guys on the team were also from Brooklyn. And they were probably better pool players than football players. I guess that time frame identifies me as a geezer.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

Somewhat related to this.. Chris Stutzreim is the offensive coordinator at Rocky Mountain College in Billings.
ImageImageImageImage
CowboyFan
Ranch Hand

No. 1: Casey Bramlet, strongest arm of any Wyo QB, ever, prior to Josh Allen. Smart and athletic.
No. 2: Randy Welniak, scrapy, tenacious and a winner.
No. 3: ACS, The kid had solid skills and was a GAMER!
No. 4: Brett Smith, a descent arm, good wheels, and a big heart. Not always the best decisions but . . .
No. 5: Josh Wallwork, very solid.

As for Josh Allen: The young man shows a lot of promise, has great skills, a great arm and great wheels. He definitely has the potential to vault to No 1!
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:38 am
WyoVaquero wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:40 am I know a lot of people want to put the bramlets in the top 5 because of them being wyoming boys, but they should not crack the top five. Josh Allen, Josh Wallwork, Brett Smith, Randy Welniak, Joe Hughes, Craig Burnett were all better. Casey is probably around 7 or 8, but Corey doesn't crack the top 10. Tom Corontzos, Casey Bramlet, Jay Stoner are in the second 5.
Disagree. Casey Bramlet had 3 seasons of 3000+ passing yards. He has a lead of almost 1000 yards in career passing in Wyoming history. He had a cannon for an arm and was drafted in the 7th round. Had the defense not been garbage, he would have had quite a few more wins. Probably the most physically talented quarterback that Wyoming has had other than Josh Allen.

Any mention of Jay Stoner near the top 10 makes me shake my head. The only thing he had going for him is that he got a ton of starts ("we want Swanson").
I'm with you on Casey Bramlet, he was a total stud stuck on a team with a horrid defense. In the early 2000's we were known as Wide Receiver-U, guys like Jovon Bouknight, Scotty Vines, Wendell Montgomery, Ryan McGuffey and Malcom Floyd all had great success because of Bramlet's play at QB. The younger Bramlet, wow, I will never forget that TCU game.
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

Casey wasn't a scrub, but he was not top 2. I guarantee if he wasn't from the state of Wyoming, people would not have him rated nearly that high.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

CowboyFan wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:45 pm No. 1: Casey Bramlet, strongest arm of any Wyo QB, ever, prior to Josh Allen. Smart and athletic.
No. 4: Brett Smith, a descent arm, good wheels, and a big heart. Not always the best decisions but . . .

As for Josh Allen: The young man shows a lot of promise, has great skills, a great arm and great wheels. He definitely has the potential to vault to No 1!
This would be my ranking. Got to have ACS in there even though he was a d-bag. With another good year Josh gets into the top 3 with a good shot at #1
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:28 am
CowboyFan wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:45 pm No. 1: Casey Bramlet, strongest arm of any Wyo QB, ever, prior to Josh Allen. Smart and athletic.

This would be my ranking. Got to have ACS in there even though he was a d-bag. With another good year Josh gets into the top 3 with a good shot at #1
I can agree with most of this. Didn't remember Welniak much at all but ok with him in there. However, in my mind there is no way ACS is above Brett. Think ACS deserves to be in the list but Brett was better in every aspect than ACS. IMO
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

TSpoke wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:55 am
LanderPoke wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:28 am

I can agree with most of this. Didn't remember Welniak much at all but ok with him in there. However, in my mind there is no way ACS is above Brett. Think ACS deserves to be in the list but Brett was better in every aspect than ACS. IMO
Thinking about it more you are right. No way ACS should be above Brett. The way both quit the program left an exceedingly bitter taste in my mouth.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

WyoVaquero wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:18 pm Casey wasn't a scrub, but he was not top 2. I guarantee if he wasn't from the state of Wyoming, people would not have him rated nearly that high.
Not being born and raised in Wyoming, I'd still put Casey high up - if nothing else, based on that he's done more professionally than any other Wyoming Quarterback. Yeah, he didn't make it in the NFL, but he's still the last World Bowl MVP. ;)
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

MrTitleist wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:20 pm Somewhat related to this.. Chris Stutzreim is the offensive coordinator at Rocky Mountain College in Billings.
I'm guessing the amount of donuts consumed has increased substantially at Rocky Mountain College.

Stutzreim will forever be one of my favorite players.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

GoPokes86 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:54 pm

I'm with you on Casey Bramlet, he was a total stud stuck on a team with a horrid defense. In the early 2000's we were known as Wide Receiver-U, guys like Jovon Bouknight, Scotty Vines, Wendell Montgomery, Ryan McGuffey and Malcom Floyd all had great success because of Bramlet's play at QB. The younger Bramlet, wow, I will never forget that TCU game.
I would also include Brock Ralph on that list of receivers...he was good and had a lengthy pro career. I wouldn't say that the receivers all had great success only because of Casey, Wyoming just had very talented receivers during that time period that probably would have been good under any quarterback. It amazes me that Floyd didn't put up much bigger numbers as he was by far the most physically talented WR to ever play at Wyoming... but a big part of that was the multiple talented receivers Wyoming had at the time and Malcom's willingness to have the ball spread around. It was a fun offense to watch but for the most part terrible teams.
wyoair
Ranch Hand

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:03 pm
GoPokes86 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:54 pm

I would also include Brock Ralph on that list of receivers...he was good and had a lengthy pro career. I wouldn't say that the receivers all had great success only because of Casey, Wyoming just had very talented receivers during that time period that probably would have been good under any quarterback. It amazes me that Floyd didn't put up much bigger numbers as he was by far the most physically talented WR to ever play at Wyoming... but a big part of that was the multiple talented receivers Wyoming had at the time and Malcom's willingness to have the ball spread around. It was a fun offense to watch but for the most part terrible teams.
Kind of an added side note. Wasn't Josh Barge on those teams? I remember him as a very good possession receiver if my memory serves me well. Was he the one to make that deep TD catch against Ole Miss?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

wyoair wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:00 pm
Kind of an added side note. Wasn't Josh Barge on those teams? I remember him as a very good possession receiver if my memory serves me well. Was he the one to make that deep TD catch against Ole Miss?
I believe he was a few classes behind McGuffey and Floyd and played a year or two with Casey Bramlet. I don't think he had much more than 500-600 career receiving yards.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Brett Smith was a better QB than ACS, and it isn't even close. For you that say Brett quit on the program, will you say the same about Josh Allen when he leaves this year? Big difference between leaving early and during a new coaching hire (Brett), & leaving to play for another college team after you are the face of the program with no risk of losing playing time (acs). Brett made a bad career choice, but he didn't quit on the program.
scrapperdan
Buckaroo

2000-2002 we played from behind always...hence the large passing numbers and for that matter massive interception count. Casey's senior year (2003) was a good one but his numbers are largely a function of getting 4 straight years to learn/play. He has the benefit of volume and a soft spot for everyone but he is not top 5. Neither is Welniak if I am honest...but HE was a GAMER.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

marcuswyo wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:15 am Brett Smith was a better QB than ACS, and it isn't even close. For you that say Brett quit on the program, will you say the same about Josh Allen when he leaves this year? Big difference between leaving early and during a new coaching hire (Brett), & leaving to play for another college team after you are the face of the program with no risk of losing playing time (acs). Brett made a bad career choice, but he didn't quit on the program.
Well said!

Under some people's theory, Derrick Martin, Alvester Alexander and Brian Hill all quit on the team as well. Couldn't be further from the truth.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:17 am
marcuswyo wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:15 am Brett Smith was a better QB than ACS, and it isn't even close. For you that say Brett quit on the program, will you say the same about Josh Allen when he leaves this year? Big difference between leaving early and during a new coaching hire (Brett), & leaving to play for another college team after you are the face of the program with no risk of losing playing time (acs). Brett made a bad career choice, but he didn't quit on the program.
Well said!

Under some people's theory, Derrick Martin, Alvester Alexander and Brian Hill all quit on the team as well. Couldn't be further from the truth.
It's one thing is you have a great shot at being drafted like B. Hill and D. Martin and quite another if you have no shot like Alexander and Brett Smith. ACS is a whole different story.